Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
UKT: This downloaded file is very extensive and is very difficult to search. To
make searching easy I have inserted the following TOC. - 111201
Contents of this page
p000-c1 p000-c1 p000-c1 p000-c1 p224-c1 ? [UKT: not a
single bookmark. Why?]
UKT: This file is important because it
tells us the relationship of Skt-Lat to Bur-Myan in terms of meanings of
Skt-Lat: ≫ ṛtu
- an epoch, period ( esp. a division or part of the year ), season ( the
number of the divisions of the year is in ancient times, three, five, six,
seven, twelve, thirteen, and twenty-four
- the menstrual discharge ( in women ), the time after the
courses ( favourable for procreation
- n. 1 season. 2. weather. 3. climate.
4. menses [Pali:
] - MED2006-608
ṛ the seventh vowel of the Sanskṛt alphabet and peculiar to it (
resembling the sound of ri in merrily )
ṛ-kāra m. the letter or sound ṛ TPrāt.
ṛ-varṇa m. the sounds ṛ , ṝ , and pluta ṝ
, Acf. Prāt. i, 37, &c. ( also Siddh.
vol. i, p. 17 )
ṛ ind. an interjection expressing laughter L.
• a particle implying abuse L.
• a sound inarticulate or reiterated as in stammering W.
ṛ m. heaven L.
• f. N. of Aditi L.
ṛ cl. 1. 3. 5. P. ṛcchati , iyarti , ṛṇoti
, and ṛṇvati ( only Ved. )
• āra , ariṣyati , ārat , and ārṣīt ,
to go, move, rise, tend upwards RV.
• to go towards, meet with, fall upon or into, reach, obtain RV.
• to fall to one's share, occur, befall ( with acc. ) RV.
• to advance towards a foe, attack, invade ŚBr.
• to hurt, offend ŚBr.
• to move, excite, erect, raise, ( íyarti vā́cam , he raises his
ii, 42, 2
• stómān iyarmi , I sing hymns RV.
i, 116, 1 ) RV.
vi, 22, 3: Caus. arpayati , to cause to move, throw, cast AV.
x, 9, 1 Ragh.
• to cast through, pierce AV.
• to put in or upon, place, insert, fix into or upon, fasten RV.
• to place on, apply Kathās.
• to direct or turn towards R.
• to deliver up, surrender, offer, reach over, present, give Yājñ.
• to give back, restore Mn.
viii, 191 Yājñ.
&c. : Ved. Intens. alarti RV.
viii, 48, 8
• ( 2. sg. alarṣi RV.
viii, 1, 7 Pāṇ.
7-4, 65 )
• to move or go towards with speed or zeal: Class. Intens. Ā. arāryate
7-4, 30 ), to wander about, haste towards Bhaṭṭ.
; [ Gk.
?, ?, ?, &c. : Zend √ ir : Lat. or-ior , [ 223, 2 ]
re-mus , aro : Goth. argan : Angl. Sax. [ ār ]: Old
High Germ. ruo-dar , ar-an : Lith. ir-ti , 'to row'
; ar-ti , 'to plough.' ]
árpita mfn. See p. 92, col. 3
ṛtá mf ( ā ) n. met with, afflicted by ( with instr. )
• proper, right, fit, apt, suitable, able, brave, honest RV.
• true MBh.
viii, 82 ; 87 Bhag.
• worshipped, respected L.
• enlightened, luminous L.
• m. N. of a Rudra MBh.
• of a son of Manu Cākshusha BhP.
iv, 13, 16
• of a son of Vijaya VP.
• ( am ), n. fixed or settled order, law, rule ( esp. in religion
• sacred or pious action or custom, divine law, faith, divine truth (
these meanings are given by BRD.
and are generally more to be accepted than those of native authorities and
below ) RV.
&c. [ 223, 3 ]
• truth in general, righteousness, right RV.
viii, 61 ; 104 Pañcat.
• figuratively said of gleaning ( as the right means of a Brāhman's
obtaining a livelihood as opposed to agriculture, which is anṛta ) Mn.
iv, 4 ff
• promise, oath, vow TāṇḍyaBr.
• truth personified ( as an object of worship, and hence enumerated among
the sacred objects in the Nir.
• water L.
• sacrifice L.
• a particular sacrifice L.
• the sun L.
• wealth L.
• ( ám ), ind. right, duly, properly, expressly, very RV.
• ( ṛtam √ i , to go the right way, be pious or virtuous
• ( éna ), ind. right, duly, properly, regularly, lawfully,
according to usage or right RV.
• truly, sincerely, indeed RV.
ṛtá-cít mfn. conversant with or knowing the sacred law or usage (
at sacrifices &c. ) RV.
ṛtá-jā́ mfn. 'truly-born', of a true nature RV.
iv, 40, 5
• well made, excellent RV.
iii, 58, 8
ṛtá-jā́ta mfn. of true nature
• well made, proper RV.
v, 15, 1-11 ; xviii, 2, 15
• -satya ( ṛtá-jāta-satya ), mfn. appearing at the
proper time and true or constant ( said of the Ushases ) RV.
iv, 51, 7
ṛtá-jít mfn. gaining the right Bṛḍ.
• ( t ), m. N. of a Yaksha VP.
ṛtá-júr mfn. grown old in ( observance of the ) divine law RV.
x, 143, 1
ṛtá-jñā mfn. knowing or conversant with the sacred law or usage (
at sacrifices &c. ) RV.
ṛtá-jya ( [ Rtá° ] ), mfn. one whose string is truth,
truth-strung ( said of Brahmaṇas-pati's bow ) RV.
ii, 24, 8
ṛtá-ṃ-jaya m. N. of a Vyāsa VāyuP.
ṛtá-dyumna ( voc. ), mfn. brilliant or glorious through divine
ix, 113, 4
ṛtá-dhāman ( [ Rtá° ] ), mfn. one whose abode is truth or divine
law, abiding in truth VS.
v, 32 ; xviii, 38
• ( ā ), m. N. of Viṣṇu R.
• of a Manu VP.
• of Indra in the twelfth Manv-antara BhP.
ṛtá-dhī mfn. of right intelligence or knowledge BhP.
ṛtá-dhīti ( ṛtá-dhīti ), mfn. worshipped with true
devotion, praised or adored sincerely RV.
ṛtá-dhvaja m. N. of a Rudra BhP.
• of several men
ṛtá-ní ( Ved. for [ °nI ] ), mfn. leader of truth or
ii, 27, 12
ṛtá-nidhana n. 'having proper Nidhanas' ( q. v. ), N. of a Sāman
ṛtá-parṇa m. = ṛtuparṇa , q. v.
ṛtá-pā́ mfn. guarding divine truth RV.
ṛtá-pātra n. a properly adjusted sacrificial vessel TāṇḍyaBr.
i, 2, 3
ṛtá-peya m. a particular Ekāha ( q. v. ) Lāṭy.
ṛtá-peśas mfn. having a perfect shape Bṛḍ.
v, 66, 1
• ( looking like water Sāy.
ṛtá-prajāta mfn. of true nature, well made, proper, apt RV.
• ( produced or come forth from water Sāy.
• ( ā ), f. a woman delivered ( of a child ) at proper time AV.
i, 11, 1
ṛtá-pravīta mfn. invested or surrounded with divine truth ( as
Agni ) RV.
i, 70, 4
ṛtá-psu ( voc. ), mfn. one whose appearance is truth or one who
consumes the sacrificial food [ Sāy.
i, 180, 3 ( said of the Aśvins )
ṛtá-bhāga m. N. of a man
• ( ās ), m. pl. the descendants of the above
ṛtá-bhuj mfn. enjoying ( the fruit of ) one's righteousness or
pious works MaitrUp.
ṛtá-ṃ-bhara mfn. bearing the truth in one's self
• m. N. of Viṣṇu BhP.
vi, 13, 17
• ( ā ), f. ( with and without prajñā ) intellect or
knowledge which contains the truth in itself Prab.
• N. of a river BhP.
• -prajña mfn. possessing the above knowledge ( said of a class
of Yogins ) Sarvad.
ṛtá-yukti mfn. well applied, proper ( as a word or hymn ) RV.
x, 61, 10
ṛtá-yuj mfn. properly harnessed RV.
• united with divine law RV.
vi, 39, 2
ṛtá-vat mfn. being right, saying the truth BhP.
ṛtá-vāká m. a true or right speech RV.
ix, 113, 2
ṛtá-vādín mfn. saying right, speaking the truth VS.
v, 7 MBh.
ṛtá-vīrya m. N. of a man
ṛtá-vrata mfn. one whose vow is truth, truthful BhP.
ṛtá-satyá e n. du. right and truth ŚBr.
ṛtá-sád mfn. seated or dwelling in truth Bṛḍ.
iv, 40, 5 TS.
• ( seated at sacrifice Sāy.
ṛtá-sádana n. and the right or proper seat VS.
ṛtá-sádanī f. the right or proper seat VS.
ṛtá-sáp ( in strong forms [ °s'Ap ] ), mfn. connected with or
performing worship or pious works ( as men ), connected with or accepting
worship or religious acts ( as gods ) RV.
ṛtá-sāta mfn. filled with truth or righteousness AV.
xviii, 2, 15
ṛtá-sāman n. N. of a Sāman ĀrshBr.
ṛtá-sena m. N. of a Gandharva BhP.
ṛtá-stúbh m. 'praising properly or duly', N. of a Ṛshi RV.
i, 112, 20
ṛtá-sthā́ mfn. standing right AV.
iv, 1, 4
ṛtá-s-pati ( voc. ṛtaspate ), m. lord of pious works (
as sacrifice &c. [ 224, 1 ]
• N. of Vāyu ) RV.
viii, 26, 21
ṛtá-spṛ́ś mfn. connected with pious works or worship RV.
v, 67, 4 ( N. of the Ādityas ) ; i, 2, 80 ; iv, 50, 3 ( N. of Mitra-varuṇa )
• ( touching water Sāy.
ṛtânṛta n. truth and falsehood
ṛtâyus m. N. of a son of Purū-ravas
ṛtā́-van mf ( arī ) n. keeping within the fixed order or
rule, regular, proper ( as inanimated objects )
• performing ( as men ) or accepting ( as gods ) sacred works or piety,
truthful, faithful, just, holy RV.
ṛtā-vasu ( voc. ), mfn. one whose wealth is piety, pious,
viii, 101, 5
ṛtā-vṛ́dh mfn. increasing or fostering truth or piety ( said of
gods ) RV.
ṛtā-ṣah ṣāṭ mfn. maintaining the sacred law VS.
xviii, 38 TS.
iii, 4, 7
ṛte-karmám ind. while ( Indra ) pours down rain, during the rain
x, 55, 7
• ( See also ṛté , p. 226, col. 1. )
ṛte-jā́ mfn. produced or come forth at the time of sacrifice [ Sāy.
i, 113, 12 ; vi, 3, 1 ; vii, 20, 6
ṛtốdya n. true speech, truth AV.
xiv, 1, 31
ṛtaya Nom. P. ( p. ṛtayát ) Ā. ṛtayate , to
observe the sacred law, be regular or proper
• to wish for sacrifice [ Sāy.
viii, 3, 14 ; v, 12, 3 ; 43, 7
ṛtayā́ ind. in the right manner , [ through desire of reward of pious actions Bṛḍ.
ii, 11, 12
ṛtayú mfn. observing the sacred law
• wishing for sacrifice [ Sāy.
viii, 70, 10
ṛtavyá mfn. ( fr. ṛtú below ), relating or devoted to
the seasons Pāṇ.
• ( ā́ ), f. ( scil. iṣṭakā ), N. of particular
sacrificial bricks TS.
ṛtavyá-vat mfn. furnished with the above bricks ŚBr.
ṛtavyā-tva n. state of being the above brick Kāṭh.
ṛtāya Nom. P. ( p. ṛtā́yat ) to wish for speech RV.
vii, 87, 1
• to maintain the sacred law
• to wish for sacrifice [ Sāy.
ṛtāyín mfn. truthful RV.
x, 5, 3
ṛtāyú mfn. = ṛtayú above RV.
ṛti or f. going, motion L.
ṛ́ti f. going, motion L.
• assault, attack Bṛḍ.
xii, 5, 25 VS.
• envy, emulation L.
• reproach, abuse L.
• path, way L.
• prosperity, felicity L.
• aversion L.
• remembrance, memory L.
• protection L.
• misery L.
• pain T.
• ( is ), m. N. of a god to be worshipped by human sacrifice VS.
• an assailant, enemy AV.
xii, 5, 25
ṛti-ṃ-kara mfn. causing pain ṭ.
ṛtī ( in comp. for ṛtí above )
ṛtī-ṣáh ( strong cases ṣāh and ṣah ), mfn.
subduing or conquering assailants or enemies [ Sāy.
• ( enduring an assault BRD.
ṛtīya See √ ṛt
ṛtú m. ( Uṇ.
i, 72 ) any settled point of time, fixed time, time appointed for any action (
esp. for sacrifices and other regular worship ), right or fit time RV.
• an epoch, period ( esp. a division or part of the year ), season ( the
number of the divisions of the year is in ancient times, three, five, six,
seven, twelve, thirteen, and twenty-four
• in later time six seasons are enumerated, viz. Vasanta, 'spring'
• Grīshma, 'the hot season'
• Varshās ( f. nom. pl. ), 'the rainy season' Śarad,.
• Hemanta, 'winter'
• and Śiśira, 'the cool season'
• the seasons are not unfrequently personified, addressed in Mantras, and
worshipped by libations ) RV.
• symbolical expression for the number six VarBṛS.
• the menstrual discharge ( in women ), the time after the courses (
favourable for procreation
• according to Bhpr.
sixteen days after their appearance ) Suśr.
• sexual union at the above time Mn.
ix, 93 MBh.
• fixed order, order, rule Bṛḍ.
i, 162, 19
• light, splendour L.
• a particular mineral L.
• N. of a Ṛshi
• of the twelfth Manu
ṛtú-kāla m. the fit or proper season MBh.
• the time of a woman's courses, the time after the courses ( favourable
for procreation, See above ) ŚāṅkhŚr.
iii, 45 ; v, 153 MBh.
ṛtú-gaṇa m. the seasons collectively
ṛtú-gāmin mfn. approaching ( a woman sexually ) at the fit time (
i. e. after her courses ) R.
ṛtú-grahá m. a libation offered to the Ṛitus or seasons ŚBr.
ṛtú-caryā f. N. of wk.
ṛtú-jit m. N. of a king of Mithilā VP.
ṛtú-juṣ f. a woman enjoying intercourse at the time fit for
ṛtú-dhāman m. ( probably for [ Rta-dh° ] ), N. of Viṣṇu VP.
ṛtú-nātha m. 'lord of the seasons', the spring T.
ṛtú-páti m. lord of the times fit for sacrifices, lord of the
proper times, N. of Agni RV.
x, 2, 1 [ 224, 2 ]
• of other deities AV.
iii, 10, 9
• xi, 6, 17
• the spring T.
ṛtú-parṇa m. N. of a king of Ayodhyā MBh.
( v. l. [ Rta-p° ] )
ṛtú-paryāya m. the revolution of the seasons
ṛtú-paśú m. an animal to be sacrificed at a particular season ŚBr.
ṛtú-pā́ mfn. drinking the libation at the right time RV.
ṛtú-pātrá n. a vessel for the libation to the Ṛitus or seasons ŚBr.
ṛtú-prāpta mfn. that which has approached its own season ( as a
fruit-bearing tree ) L.
ṛtú-praiṣa m. N. of particular invocations spoken before the
sacrifice to the seasons AitBr.
v, 9, 3
ṛtú-bhāga m. the sixth part Hcat.
ṛtú-bhā́j mfn. partaking of a season ( said of a sacrificial
brick ) ŚBr.
x, 4, 4, 4
ṛtú-mát mfn. coming at regular or proper times VS.
xix, 61 TāṇḍyaBr.
• enjoying the seasons ChUp.
• ( tī ), f. 'having courses', a girl at the age of puberty,
marriageable girl Mn.
ix, 89 ff. Pañcat.
• a woman during her courses or just after them ( during the period
favourable for procreation ) Gobh.
ii, 5, 6 MBh.
• ( at ), n. N. of Varuṇa's grove BhP.
ṛtú-máya mfn. consisting of seasons ŚBr.
ṛtú-múkha n. beginning or first day of a season ŚBr.
ṛtú-mukhin mfn. taking place on the first day of a season Comm.
ṛtú-yāja m. 'offering to the seasons', a particular ceremony AitBr.
ṛtú-yājín mfn. sacrificing at the beginning of every season MaitrS.
ṛtú-yājyā f. = -yāja above Vait.
ṛtú-rāja m. 'the king of the seasons', the spring Kathās.
ṛtú-liṅga n. characteristic of a season Mn.
• sign of menstruation W.
ṛtú-lokā f. N. of particular bricks ŚBr.
ṛtú-vṛtti f. revolution of the seasons, a year L.
ṛtú-velā f. the time of or after menses ( fit for procreation )
i, 19, 1
ṛtú-śás ind. at the proper or due time, at the very time RV.
ix, 5, 13 VS.
ṛtú-śānti f. N. of wk.
ṛtú-ṣāman ( for -sāman ), n. N. of a Sāman
ṛtú-ṣṭhā́ ( for -sthā ), mfn. being in season or in the
xvii, 3 MaitrS.
iii, 3, 4
• -yajñāyajñīya n. N. of a Sāman Lāṭy.
i, 5, 15 ĀrshBr.
ṛtú-saṃhāra m. 'collection of the seasons', N. of a poem ascribed
ṛtú-saṃdhi m. junction of two seasons, transition from one season
to the next one PārGṛ.
• junction of two fortnights, the days of new and full moon ( as the
junction of the dark and light half of the month, and reversely ) T.
ṛtú-samaya m. the period of or after the menses ( fit for
procreation ) VarBṛS.
ṛtú-sahasrá n. a thousand seasons ŚBr.
ṛtú-sātmya n. diet &c. suited to a season
ṛtú-sevya mfn. to be taken or applied at certain seasons ( as
particular medicines or food &c. ) T.
ṛtú-sthalā f. N. of an Apsaras
ṛtú-sthā́ f. = -ṣṭhā́ above TS.
ṛtú-snātā f. a woman who has bathed after her courses ( and so
prepared herself for sexual intercourse ) Suśr.
ṛtú-snāna n. the act of bathing after menstruation
ṛtú-hārikā f. 'taking away or obstructing the menses', N. of a
ṛtú-homa m. a particular sacrifice Vait.
ṛtv-anta m. the close of a season Mn.
• the termination of menstruation W.
• ( mfn. ) forming the close of a season ( as a day ) Mn.
ṛtv-ik ( in comp. for ṛtvíj below )
• -tva n. the state of being a Ṛtvij or priest TāṇḍyaBr.
• -patha m. the path of the priest on the sacrificial ground Lāṭy.
• -phala n. the reward of a priest Jaim.
ṛtv-íj mfn. ( fr. √ yaj ), sacrificing at the proper
time, sacrificing regularly
• ( k ), m. a priest ( usually four are enumerated, viz. Hotṛ,
Adhvaryu, Brahman, and Udgātṛ
• each of them has three companions or helpers, so that the total number
is sixteen, viz. hotṛ , Maitrāvaruṇa, Acchāvāka, Grāva-stut
• adhvaryu , Prati-prasthātṛ, Neshṭṛ, Un-netṛ
• brahman , Brāhmaṇācchaṃsin, Agnīdhra, Potṛ
• udgātṛ , Prastotṛ, Pratihartṛ, Subrahmaṇya ĀśvŚr.
iv, 1, 4-6 ) RV.
ṛtuthā́ ind. at the due or proper time, regularly, properly RV.
ṛté ind. See √ ṛt
ṛtva n. ( fr. ṛtú ), timely or matured semen TāṇḍyaBr.
x, 3, 1
• proper time, time fit for generation Āp.
ii, 5, 17
ṛtvíya mfn. ( fr. ṛtú ), being in proper time, observing
or keeping the proper time, regular, proper RV.
iii, 20, 1 ; vii, 72, 1 VS.
• ( ā ), f. ( voc. ṛ́tviye ) a woman in or after her
courses, a woman during the time favourable for procreation AV.
xiv, 2, 37 [ 224, 3 ]
• ( am ), n. ( ṛ́tviya ) the time after the courses (
favourable for procreation ) AV.
xii, 3, 29 TS.
ii, 5, 1, 5
ṛtvíya-vat mfn. having courses, being at the period fit for
ṛtvíyā-vat mfn. in proper time, regular, proper RV.
ṛ́tvya mfn. belonging to the time fit for generation RV.
x, 183, 2
ṛk ṛk-chas , ṛk-tas , and ṛk-śas , See
under 2. ṛ́c , p. 225, col. 1
ṛkṇa mfn. = vṛkṇa Sāy.
ṛkṇa-vaha mf ( ii ) n. having the shoulders wounded or
rubbed ( by the yoke
• said of an animal used for drawing vehicles ) AitBr.
v, 9, 4
ṛkṇa = the next L.
ṛktha mfn. ( for riktha q. v. , fr. √ ric
), property, wealth, possession, effects ( esp. left at death ) Mn.
ix, 132 ; 144, &c. Yājñ.
ii, 117 Śak.
• gold L.
ṛktha-grahaṇa n. inheriting property
ṛktha-grāha mfn. one who inherits or receives property Yājñ.
• m. inheritance of property L.
ṛktha-bhāgin mfn. one who inherits or receives property Mn.
ṛktha-bhāj mfn. id. Mn.
ṛktha-hara mfn. id. Mn.
ṛkthâda m. 'receiver or inheritor of property', a son
ṛkthin mfn. receiving or inheriting property, an inheritor, heir
ṛkva &c. See p. 225, col. 1
ṛkṣá mfn. ( etym. doubtful ) bald, bare TS.
ṛ́kṣa mfn. ( √ 2. ṛṣ Uṇ.
iii, 66 ; 67
• probably fr. √ ṛś ), hurting, pernicious RV.
viii, 24, 27
• m. a bear ( as a ravenous beast ) RV.
v, 56, 3 VS.
xxiv, 36 Mn.
• a species of ape Kathās.
• Bignonia Indica L.
• N. of several men RV.
viii, 68, 15 MBh.
• of a mountain VP.
• ( ifc. ) the best or most excellent L.
• ( ās ), m. pl. the seven stars, the Pleiades, the seven Ṛshis
i, 24, 10 ŚBr.
• ( ā ), f. N. of a wife of Ajamīḍha MBh.
• of a woman in the retinue of Skanda MBh.
• ( ii ), f. a female bear MBh.
• m. and ( am ), n. a star, constellation, lunar mansion Mn.
• ( am ), n. the twelfth part of the ecliptic
• the particular star under which a person happens to be born VarBṛS.
• [ Gk.
? ; Lat. ursus ; Lith. loky-s for [ 224, 3 ] olkys
ṛ́kṣa-gandhā f. Argyreia Argenteia L.
• Batatas Paniculata L.
ṛ́kṣa-gandhikā f. Batatas Paniculata L.
ṛ́kṣa-giri m. the mountain called Ṛksha
ṛ́kṣa-grīva m. 'bear-necked', a kind of demon AV.
viii, 6, 2
ṛ́kṣa-jihva n. ( scil. kuṣṭha ) 'like a bear-tongue', a
kind of leprosy Car.
ṛ́kṣa-nātha m. 'lord of the stars', the moon
ṛ́kṣa-pati m. lord of the bears R.
• a planet presided over by a lunar mansion VarBṛS.
ṛ́kṣa-mantra m. a Mantra or text addressed to the lunar mansions
ṛ́kṣa-rāj and m. the lord of the bears ( or apes ? ) Hariv.
ṛ́kṣa-rāja m. the lord of the bears ( or apes ? ) Hariv.
• 'lord of the stars', the moon Vikr.
ṛ́kṣa-vat m. N. of a mountain R.
ṛ́kṣa-vanta n. N. of a town Hariv.
ṛ́kṣa-viḍambin m. 'deceiving by means of the stars', a fraudulent
ṛ́kṣa-vibhāvana n. observation of the stars
ṛ́kṣa-harîśvara m. lord of the bears and apes, N. of Sugrīva Ragh.
ṛkṣêśa m. 'lord of the stars', the moon L.
ṛkṣêṣṭi f. offering to the stars Mn.
ṛkṣôda m. N. of a mountain Kāś.
ṛkṣī́kā f. N. of an evil spirit AV.
xii, 1, 49 VS.
xxx, 8 ŚBr.
ṛkṣa mfn. cut, pierced L.
ṛ́k-ṣama See p. 225, col. 1
ṛkṣara m. ( probably fr. √ ṛś ) a thorn ( an-ṛkṣará
• a priest Uṇ.
iii, 75 ( fr. √ ṛṣ )
• ( am ), n. a shower L.
ṛkṣálā f. the part of an animal's leg between the fetlock joint
and the hoof VS.
xxv, 3 ( cf. ṛcchárā . )
ṛg See p. 225, col. 1
ṛ́ghā f. violence, passion
ṛ́ghā-vat and mfn. raving, impetuous, violent RV.
; [ Zd.
[ ˘er˘eghant ] ; Mod. Germ. arg . ]
ṛ́ghā-van mfn. raving, impetuous, violent RV.
; [ Zd.
[ ˘er˘eghant ] ; Mod. Germ. arg . ]
ṛghāya Nom. P. Ā. ṛghāyati , -te , to be
passionate or impetuous, rave, rage RV.
• to tremble RV.
ii, 25, 3 ; iv, 17, 2. [ 225, 1 ]
ṛṅga See ṛñj
ṛc cl. 6. P. ṛcati , ānarca , arcitā ,
&c., = 1. arc , p. 89, col. 3
• to praise Dhātup.
xxviii, 19 ( cf. arká . )
ṛk ( by Sandhi for 2. ṛ́c below )
ṛk-chas and ind. verse by verse, one Ṛc verse after the other AitBr.
ṛk-śas ind. verse by verse, one Ṛc verse after the other AitBr.
ṛk-tantra n. N. of wk.
• -vyākaraṇa n. N. of a Pariśishṭa of the Sāma-veda
ṛk-tás ind. from a Ṛc, with reference to a Ṛc AitBr.
ṛk-thā mfn. erroneous for -sthā below
ṛk-vat See ṛkvá below
ṛk-śas See -chas above
ṛk-ṣama ( ṛ́kṣama TS.
iv, 3, 2, 2 ), n. 'similar to a Ṛc', N. of a Sāman
ṛk-saṃśita mfn. sharpened by Ṛc verses ( cf. āśāsaṃśita
x, 5, 30
ṛk-saṃhitā f. the Saṃhitā ( q. v. ) of the Ṛg-veda Mn.
ṛk-sama = -ṣama above VS.
ṛk-sāmá e n. du. the Ṛc verses and the Sāmans RV.
x, 114, 6 AV.
xiv, 1, 11 VS.
• -śṛṅga m. N. of Viṣṇu R.
ṛk-sāman n. N. of a Sāman ( = ṛ́kṣama ? )
ṛk-sthā mfn. consisting of Ṛc verses TāṇḍyaBr.
xvi, 8, 4
ṛ́kvan and mfn. praising, jubilant with praise RV.
xviii, 1, 47
ṛk-vát mfn. praising, jubilant with praise RV.
xviii, 1, 47
ṛg ( by Sandhi for 2. ṛ́c below )
ṛg-ayana n. ( not -ayaṇa Pat.
8-4, 3 ) going through the Veda, study of the complete Veda, a book treating
on the study of the Veda T.
• -âdi m. N. of a gaṇa Pāṇ.
ṛg-artha-sāra m. N. of wk.
ṛg-ātmaka mfn. 'consisting of Ṛcas', Ṛc-like Comm.
ṛg-āvānam ind. p. ( √ ve ), connecting one Ṛc with
another not interrupting their continuance ĀśvŚr.
ṛg-uttama mfn. ending in a Ṛc MaitrS.
ṛg-gaṇa ās m. pl. the whole body of the Ṛg-veda
ṛg-gāthā f. a song consisting of Ṛc-like stanzas Yājñ.
ṛg-brāhmaṇa n. the Brāhmaṇa which belongs to the Ṛg-veda, the
ṛg-bhāj mfn. partaking of Ṛc verses, praised in Ṛc verses ( as a
ṛg-bhāṣya n. N. of a commentary on the Ṛg-veda by Mādhava W.
ṛg-mat mfn. having or praised in Ṛc verses Nir.
ṛg-yajuḥ-sāma-veda ās m. pl. the Ṛg-, Yajur-, and
• -din mfn. conversant with the above three Vedas
ṛg-yajuṣa n. the Ṛg- and Yajur-vedas Gaut.
ṛg-vid mfn. knowing the Ṛg-veda Vait.
ṛg-vidhāna n. employing Ṛc verses AgP.
• N. of wk.
ṛg-virāma m. the pause in a verse TPrāt.
ṛg-vedá m. Hymn-Veda' or 'Veda of praise', the Ṛg-veda, or most
ancient sacred book of the Hindūs ( that is, the collective body of sacred
verses called Ṛcas see below , consisting of 1017 hymns [ or with the
Vālakhilyas 1028 ] arranged in eight Ashṭakas or in ten Maṇḍalas
• Maṇḍalas 2-8 contain groups of hymns, each group ascribed to one author
or to the members of one family
• the ninth book contains the hymns sung at the Soma ceremonies
• the first and tenth contain hymns of a different character, some
comparatively modern, composed by a greater variety of individual authors
• in its wider sense the term Ṛg-veda comprehends the Brāhmaṇas and the
Sūtra works on the ritual connected with the hymns ) AitBr.
• -prātiśākhya n. the Prātiśākhya of the Ṛg-veda
• -bhāṣya n. N. of treatises and commentaries on the Ṛg-veda
• -vid mfn. knowing the Ṛg-veda
• -saṃhitā f. the continuous text of the Ṛg-veda arranged
according to the Saṃhitā-pāṭha, q. v.
• [ °dânukramaNikA ] f. the Anukramaṇikā or index of the Ṛg-veda
ṛg-vedin mfn. conversant with the Ṛg-veda
ṛg-vedīya mfn. belonging to the Ṛg-veda
ṛgma mfn. having the beginning of a Ṛc, beginning like a Ṛc [ Sāy.
v, 9, 6
ṛgmín mfn. praising, jubilant with praise RV.
i, 100, 4 ; ix, 86, 46
ṛgmíya and mfn. to be celebrated with Ṛc verses
ṛ́gmiya mfn. to be celebrated with Ṛc verses
• to be praised RV.
• consisting of Ṛc verses TS.
ṛgmya mfn. consisting of Ṛc verses Kāṭh.
ṛṅ ( by Sandhi for 2. ṛ́c below )
ṛṅ-máya mfn. consisting of Ṛc verses AitBr.
≫ ṛc 2
ṛ́c k f. praise, verse, esp. a sacred verse recited in
praise of a deity ( in contradistinction to the Sāman [ pl. Sāmāni ] or verses
which were sung and to the Yajus [ pl. Yajūṃshi ] or sacrificial words,
formularies, and verses which were muttered )
• sacred text RV.
• the collection of the Ṛc verses ( sg., but usually pl. ṛ́cas ),
the Ṛg-veda AitBr.
and Gṛ. Mn.
i, 23, &c. ( cf. ṛg-veda above )
• the text of the Pūrvatāpanīya, Rāmat Up.
[ 225, 2 ]
ṛca ifc. = 2. ṛ́c , verse, sacred verse ( cf. tryṛca
, &c. )
• m. N. of a king VP.
ṛ́cī-ṣama m. 'Ṛc-like' , N. of Indra ṇir.
ṛcābha m. N. of a pupil of Vaiśampāyana Kāś.
ṛcīka m. N. of Jamad-agni's father MBh.
• of a country Daś.
ṛcīṣa n. a frying-pan L.
• a particular hell L.
• [ 2.
ṛjīṣa . ]
ṛceyu m. N. of a Ṛshi MBh.
• of a son of Raudrāśva Hariv.
• ( See ṛteyu . )
ṛcchárā ( = ṛkṣálā , q. v. ), f. the part of an animal's
leg between the fetlock joint and the hoof AV.
x, 9, 23
ṛcchā f. See yad-ṛcchā
ṛch cl. 6. P. ṛcchati , ānarcha , ṛcchitā
, &c., to be stiff
• to be infatuated or foolish
• to go, move Dhātup.
• [ 4.
ṛ . ]
ṛcchaka ( ? ) Kāś.
≫ ṛccharā 2
ṛccharā f. ( Uṇ.
iii, 131 ) a harlot, courtezan
ṛj cl. 1. P. Ā. arjati , -te , ānṛje ,
arjitā , arjiṣyate , ārjiṣṭa , to go
• to stand or be firm
• to obtain, acquire
• to be strong or healthy: Caus. arjayati , to obtain, get,
• [ cf. arj , p. 90, col. 1. ]
ṛjipyá mfn. ( fr. ṛju and √ āp Sāy.
? ), going straight upwards, moving upwards RV.
; [ Zd.
[ ˘er˘ezifya ]. ]
ṛjīpín mfn. id. RV.
iv, 26, 6
ṛjiman See col. 3
ṛjíśvan ā m. N. of a king ( protected by Indra ) RV.
ṛjiṣṭha See ṛjú
ṛjīka ( √ ṛj Uṇ.
iv, 22 ; v, 51 ), mfn. ( = upa-hata ) hid, concealed
• removed, obviated?
• m. smoke
• ( am ), n. a means, expedient, according to Sāy.
in āvir-ṛjīka , q. v.
ṛ́jīti mfn. ( fr. ṛju and √ i Sāy.
), going or tending upwards RV.
ṛjīyas See ṛjú
ṛjīṣá m. ( √ ṛj ), expeller ( of enemies ), N. of Indra
i, 32, 6
ṛjīṣa n. ( √ arj Uṇ.
iv, 28 ), the sediment or residue of Soma, the Soma plant after the juice has
been pressed out AV.
ix, 6, 16 VS.
xix, 72 TS.
• the juice produced by the third pressure of the plant Sāy.
• a frying-pan Uṇ.
• a particular hell Mn.
ṛjīṣita mfn. possessed of the residue of Soma, g. tārakâdi
ṛjīṣín mfn. receiving the residue of Soma or the juice produced
by the third pressure of the plant [ Sāy.
], N. of Indra and of the Maruts RV.
• having or consisting of the residue TS.
ṛjú mf ( jvií ) n. ( √ arj Uṇ.
• probably fr. √ 2. ṛñj , col. 3 BRD.
), tending in a straight direction, straight ( lit. and fig
• opp. to vṛjiná ), upright, honest, right, sincere RV.
xiv, 1, 34 TS.
• ( ú ), ind. in the right manner, correctly RV.
ii, 3, 7 ; v, 46, 1 ; x, 67, 2 AitBr.
iii, 3, 10
• in a straight line, straight on Suśr.
• compar. ṛ́jīyas RV.
vii, 104, 12 AV.
v, 14, 12 ; viii, 4, 12, and rajīyas Pāṇ.
• superl. ṛjiṣṭha Pāṇ.,
and rájiṣṭha RV.
• [ observe that the metaphorical meaning of this word is more common in
Vedic, and the literal meaning in classical literature ]
• ( us ), m. N. of a son of Vasu-deva BhP.
• ( jvii ), f. ( scil. gati ) the straight stage or
duration in the course of a planet VarBṛS.
; [ Zd.
[ ˘er˘ezu ]
• Gk. ? ; Lat. rectus ; Goth. [ 225, 2 ] raihts ; Eng.
right . ]
ṛjú-kāya mfn. having a straight body BhP.
• N. of Kaśyapa L.
ṛjú-kratú mfn. one whose works are right or honest, N. of Indra
i, 81, 7
ṛjú-gá mfn. going straight on AV.
i, 12, 1 TS.
iii, 1, 10, 2
• m. an arrow T.
ṛjú-gātha mfn. ( voc. ) celebrated with right praises or songs RV.
v, 44, 5
ṛjú-tva n. straight direction, straightness Kum.
• uprightness, sincerity, honesty Amar.
ṛjú-dāru-maya mf ( ii ) n. made of straight wood Hcat.
ṛjú-dāsa m. N. of a son of Vasu-deva VP.
[ 225, 3 ]
ṛjú-dṛś mfn. seeing right Naish.
ṛjú-dhā́ ind. in straight direction, straight on TBr.
• in right manner, correctly AitBr.
i, 28, 28
ṛjú-nītí f. right guidance RV.
i, 90, 1
ṛjú-pakṣa mfn. having straight wings ( said of the
fire-receptacle when shaped like a bird )
ṛjú-pālikā f. N. of a river
ṛjú-buddhi or mfn. of honest mind, sincere R.
ṛjú-mati mfn. of honest mind, sincere R.
ṛjú-mitâkṣarā f. N. of a commentary on Yājñavalkya's law-book (
composed by Vijñāneśvara, and generally called Mitāksharā )
ṛjú-muṣká mfn. having strong testicles
• strong and muscular [ Sāy.
], ( said of Agni's horses ) RV.
iv, 2, 2 ; 6, 9
ṛjú-raśmi mfn. having straight traces or reins ( as a chariot )
iv, 29, 7
ṛjú-rohita n. the straight red bow of Indra L.
ṛjú-lekha mfn. rectilinear, Śulbas.
ṛjú-lekhā f. a straight line Comm.
ṛjú-váni mfn. granting rightly or liberally ( said of the earth )
v, 41, 15
ṛjú-sarpa m. a species of snake Suśr.
ṛjú-hásta mf ( ā ) n. 'good-handed', bestowing liberally
( said of the earth ) RV.
v, 41, 15
ṛjiman ā m. straightness, g. pṛthv-ādi Pāṇ.
ṛjū ( in comp. for ṛjú above )
ṛjū-karaṇa n. the act of straightening Suśr.
ṛjū-√ kṛ to straighten
• to set right, correct Comm.
ṛjū-kṛta mfn. made straight
ṛjū-nas ( ['RjU° ] ), m. 'straight-nosed', N. of a man RV.
viii, 52, 2
ṛjv-áñc mfn. moving or tending straightforward RV.
iv, 6, 9
ṛjv-ālikhitá mfn. scratched with straight lines ŚBr.
ṛjv-āhva m. N. of a Ṛshi
ṛjūka m. N. of a country ( in which the river Vipāśā rises ) Nir.
ṛjūya Nom. P. ( p. ṛjū́yat ) to walk straight-forward,
be right or honest RV.
: Ā. ( p. ṛjūyámāna ) to tend straight upward RV.
x, 88, 9
ṛjūyā́ ind. in a straight line RV.
i, 183, 5
ṛjūyú mfn. upright, honest RV.
i, 20, 4
≫ ṛjra 1
ṛjrá mf ( ā ) n. going straightforward, moving on, quick
( as horses ) RV.
ṛjrấśva m. 'having quick horses', N. of a man RV.
ṛjrá mfn. ( fr. √ rañj ), red, reddish, ruddy
• [ cf. árjuna
• Gk. ?, ? ; Lat. argentum . ] [ 225, 3 ]
ṛjra m. ( √ ṛj Uṇ.
ii, 28 ), a leader
ṛñj cl. 1. Ā. ṛñjate , ṛñjāṃ-cakre , ṛñjitā
, &c., to fry Dhātup.
≫ ṛñjasāna 1
ṛñjasāna m. ( Uṇ.
ii, 87 ) a cloud
ṛñj cl. 6. P. ( p. ṛñját ) Ā. riñjate : cl. 4.
P. Ā. ( See abhy-ṛñj ) : cl. 7. Ā. ( 3. pl. ṛñjate ) to make
straight or right, make proper, arrange, fit out, decorate, ornament
• to make favourable, propitiate
• to gain, obtain RV.
• [ Gk.
[ 225, 3 ] ? ; Lat. rego ; Goth. rak-ja . ]
ṛṅga m. = prasādhana Sāy.
• See manaṛṅga
≫ ṛñjasāna 2
ṛñjasāná mfn. to be made favourable or propitiated ( by songs )
• to be celebrated RV.
ṛṇ cl. 8. P. Ā. ṛṇoti or arṇoti , -ṇute
, ānarṇa , ānṛṇe , &c., to go, move Dhātup.
xxx, 5 ( 4.
ṛ . )
ṛṇá mfn. going, flying, fugitive ( as a thief ) RV.
vi, 12, 5 ; having gone against or transgressed, guilty [ Lat.
• ( am ), n. anything wanted or missed
• anything due, obligation, duty, debt ( a Brāhman owes three debts or
obligations, viz. 1 . Brahmacarya or 'study of the Vedas', to the Ṛshis
• 2. sacrifice and worship, to the gods
• 3. procreation of a son, to the Manes TS.
vi, 3, 10, 5 Mn.
vi, 35, &c.
• in later times also, 4. benevolence to mankind and 5. hospitality to
guests are added MBh.
&c. ) RV.
• a debt of money, money owed MBh.
• ( ṛṇaṃ √ kṛ , to get into debt Yājñ.
• [ °m-√ prâp ], to become indebted Mn.
• [ °M-√ dA ] or √ nī or [ pra-√ yam ], to pay a debt MBh.
• [ °M-√ yAc ], to ask for a loan Kathās.
• [ °m parîps ], to call in a debt Mn.
viii, 161 )
• a negative quantity, minus ( in math. )
• water L.
• a fort, stronghold L. ;
arena . ]
ṛṇá-kartṛ mfn. one who contracts a debt, indebted MBh.
ṛṇá-kāti m. one to whom praise is due RV.
viii, 61, 12
ṛṇá-graha mfn. getting into debt, borrowing W.
• m. the act of borrowing W.
ṛṇá-grāhin mfn. borrowing
• ( ii ), m. a borrower W.
ṛṇá-cít mfn. 'giving heed to worship' ( paid as a debt by men to
gods ), N. of Brahmaṇas-pati RV.
ii, 23, 17
ṛṇá-ccheda m. payment of a debt
ṛṇá-cyút mfn. inciting to fulfilment of obligations ( to the gods
&c. ) RV.
vi, 61, 1. [ 226, 1 ]
ṛṇá-jya m. N. of a Vyāsa VP.
ṛṇá-ṃcaya m. N. of a king RV.
v, 30, 12 ; 14
• of an Āṅgirasa ( author of the end of RV.
ix, 108 ) RAnukr.
ṛṇá-tā f. the state of being under obligations or in debt
ṛṇá-da or mfn. one who pays a debt
ṛṇá-dātṛ or mfn. one who pays a debt
ṛṇá-dāyin mfn. one who pays a debt
ṛṇá-dāna n. payment of a debt
ṛṇá-dāsa m. 'debt-slave', one who pays his debt by becoming his
creditor's slave Comm.
ṛṇá-nirmokṣa m. discharge or acquittance of debt ( to ancestors
&c. ) Ragh.
ṛṇá-pradātṛ m. a money-lender Hit.
ṛṇá-bhaṅgâdhyāya m. N. of wk.
ṛṇá-matkuṇa m. money given as security, bail ( sticking to the
debtor like an insect ) L.
ṛṇá-mārgaṇa m. security, bail L.
ṛṇá-mokṣa m. discharge of a debt, paying a debt
ṛṇá-mocana n. id.
• -tīrtha n. N. of a Tīrtha
ṛṇá-yā́ mfn. going after or demanding ( fulfilment of )
ṛṇá-yāt mfn. striving for or demanding ( fulfilment of )
i, 5, 2, 5
ṛṇá-yā́van mfn. relieving from debt or obligations RV.
i, 87, 4
ṛṇá-lekhya n. a bond, note of hand
ṛṇá-vat mfn. one who is in debt, indebted Hit.
; [ Zd.
erenava . ]
ṛṇá-ván mfn. being in debt, indebted TS.
ṛṇá-śodhana n. payment or discharge of a debt W.
ṛṇá-samuddhāra m. id.
ṛṇâdāna n. recovery of a debt, receipt of money &c. lent ( as
one of the eighteen titles or subjects of judicial procedure ) Mn.
viii, 4 Comm.
ṛṇântaka m. 'terminator of debts', N. of the planet Mars L.
ṛṇâpanodana n. discharge or payment of debt
ṛṇārṇa ( fr. ṛṇa-ṛṇa Kāty.
6-1, 89 ), n. a loan borrowed for the payment of a previous debt
ṛṇā-van mfn. being under obligation, indebted RV.
i, 169, 7 ; x, 34, 10
ṛṇôdgrahaṇa n. recovering a debt in any way from a creditor ( by
friendly or legal proceedings, by strategem or arrest ) W.
ṛṇôddhāra m. payment or discharge of a debt
ṛṇika m. a debtor Yājñ.
ii, 56 ; 93 ; [ Lat.
reus . ]
ṛṇin mfn. one who is in debt or indebted MBh.
• ( ii ), m. a debtor Yājñ.
ii, 86 R.
ṛt ( a Sautra √), Ā. ṛtīyate to go
• to hate, abhor, avoid, shun, Saddh
• to hate each other, quarrel ŚBr.
ṛtīyā f. loathing, horror
• scorn, contempt L.
ṛté ind. ( according to BRD.
loc. case of the p. p. of √ ṛ ) under pain of, with the exclusion of,
excepting, besides, without, unless ( with abl. or acc. or a sentence
beginning with yatas ) RV.
ṛté-karmám ind. without work Bṛḍ.
x, 55, 7 ( under.
ṛtá , p. 224, col. 1. )
ṛté-barhiṣka mfn. without the formula on the Barhis ( q. v. ) ŚāṅkhŚr.
ṛté-mūla mfn. without roots MaitrS.
ṛté-yajñám ind. outside the sacrifice MaitrS.
ṛté-rakṣas mfn. performed with exclusion of the Rakshases ( as a
sacrifice ) AitBr.
ii, 7, 2
ṛta ṛti , ṛtu , See p. 223, col. 2 - p. 224,
ṛtaka See ḷtaka
ṛteyu m. N. of a Ṛshi
• of a son of Raudrâśva, ( v. l. ṛceyu , q. v. )
ṛtv-ij See p. 224, col. 2
ṛtviya &c. See ib.
ṛdûdára mfn. ( fr. ṛdu = mṛdu and udára
), having a soft or pleasant inner nature RV.
ii, 33, 5 ; iii, 54, 10 ; viii, 48, 10
ṛdū ( in comp. for ṛdu = mṛdu )
ṛdū-pā́ mfn. drinking what is sweet or pleasant RV.
viii, 77, 11
ṛdū-vṛ́dh mfn. increasing sweetness or pleasantness ib.
ṛdh cl. 6. 2. 4. 5. 7. P. ( Pot. 1. pl. ṛdhema AV.
• Subj. 3. sg. ṛdhat RV.
• pres. p. ṛdhát
• cf. ṛdhád below ) ṛdhyati
• ānardha , ardhitā , ardhiṣyati , &c., to
grow, increase, prosper, succeed RV.
• to cause to increase or prosper, promote, make prosperous, accomplish RV.
: Pass. ṛdhyate , to be promoted, increase, prosper, succeed ŚBr.
: Caus. ardhayati , to satisfy AV.
vii, 80, 4 Nir.
: Desid. ardidhiṣati or īrtsati
• [ √.
rādh and vṛdh . ]
ṛddha mfn. increased, thriving, prosperous, abundant, wealthy Kum.
• filled with ( voices ), made to resound
• ( am ), n. stored grain L.
• a demonstrated conclusion, distinct result L. [
226, 2 ]
ṛddhi f. increase, growth, prosperity, success, good fortune,
wealth, abundance VS.
&c. ( personified as Kuvera's wife MBh.
• accomplishment, perfection, supernatural power BhP.
• a kind of medicinal plant Bhpr.
• N. of Pārvatī L.
• of Lakshmī L.
ṛddhi-kāma mfn. desiring prosperity or wealth KātyŚr.
ṛddhi-pāda m. one of the four constituent part of supernatural
ṛddhi-mat mfn. being in a prosperous state, prosperous, wealthy
• bringing or bestowing prosperity or wealth Suśr.
ṛddhita mfn. ( p. p. of a Nom. ṛddhaya ) caused to
increase, made to prosper, ( asi-ṛddhita , made to prosper by the
power of the sword MBh.
xviii, 105. )
ṛddhila m. N. of a man ( Buddh.
ṛdhád ( by Sandhi for ṛdhat pres. p. of ṛdh ,
cl. 6 )
ṛdhád-rī ( √ rī ), mfn. one whose speed is increasing or
excessive, exceedingly swift ( as horses ) RV.
viii, 46, 23
ṛdhád-vāra mfn. one whose wealth is increasing or abundant,
abounding in wealth ( said of Agni ) RV.
vi, 3, 2
ṛdhmuka mfn. causing increase or prosperity ĀśvGṛ.
iv, 8, 9
ṛ́dhak ( and ṛdhák SV.
), ind. ( related to ardha BRD.
), separately, aside, apart
• singly, one by one
• in a distinguished manner, particularly RV.
ṛ́dhaṅ ( in comp. for ṛ́dhak )
ṛ́dhaṅ-mantra mfn. one who is destitute of speech Bṛḍ.
v, 1, 7
ṛdhuka mfn. short L.
ṛph and ṛmph , cl. 6. P. ṛphati , ṛmphati
, ānarpha , ṛmphāṃ-cakāra , &c., to hurt, kill
• to reproach Dhātup.
ṛbī́sa n. an abyss, chasm ( in the earth, from which hot vapours
arise ) RV.
• warmth of the earth KātyŚr.
ṛbī́sa-pakva mfn. matured by warmth of the earth ĀpŚr.
ṛbhú mfn. ( √ rabh ), clever, skilful, inventive,
prudent ( said of Indra, Agni, and the Ādityas RV.
• also of property or wealth RV.
iv, 37, 5 ; viii, 93, 34
• of an arrow AV.
i, 2, 3 )
• ( us ), m. an artist, one who works in iron, a smith, builder (
of carriages &c. ), N. of three semi-divine beings ( Ṛbhu, Vāja, and
Vibhvan, the name of the first being applied to all of them
• thought by some to represent the three seasons of the year [ Ludwig.
vol. iii, p. 187 ], and celebrated for their skill as artists
• they are supposed to dwell in the solar sphere, and are the artists who
formed the horses of Indra, the carriage of the Aśvins, and the miraculous cow
• they made their parents young, and performed other wonderful works
• they are supposed to take their ease and remain idle for twelve days
the twelve intercalary days of the winter solstice every year in the
house of the Sun āgohya
• after which they recommence working
• when the gods heard of their skill, they sent Agni to them with the one
cup of their rival Tvashṭṛ, the artificer of the gods, bidding the Ṛbhus
construct four cups from it
• when they had successfully executed this task, the gods received the
Ṛbhus amongst themselves and allowed them to partake of their sacrifices
p. 53 f. ) RV.
• they appear generally as accompanying Indra, especially at the evening
• in later mythology Ṛbhu is a son of Brahman VP.
• a deity L.
• ( avas ), m. a class of deities
• [ Gk.
? ; Lat. labor ; Goth. [ 226, 2 ] arb-aiths
• Angl. Sax. ? ; Slav. [ rab-˘u ]. ]
ṛbhú-mát mfn. clever, skilful, prudent RV.
i, 111, 2
• accompanied by or connected with the Ṛbhus RV.
xxxviii, 8 AitBr.
ii, 20, 14 KātyŚr.
ṛbhú-ṣṭhira ( voc. ), mfn. clever and wise ( said of Indra ) RV.
viii, 77, 8
ṛbhukṣa m. Indra L.
• ( Indra's ) heaven Comm.
• Indra's thunderbolt L.
• ( this word appears to owe its origin to the next. )
ṛbhukṣín ās m. ( See Gr. 162 Pāṇ.
7-1, 85 ff. ), N. of the above Ṛbhus, and esp. of the first of them RV.
• N. of Indra ( as the lord of the Ṛbhus Nir.
• of the Maruts RV.
viii. 7, 9 ; xx, 2
• great, best [ Sāy.
viii, 93, 34
ṛbhukṣīṇa Nom. P. ṛbhukṣīṇati , to behave like Ṛbhukshin
ṛ́bhvan and mfn. clever, skilful, prudent, wise ( N. of Indra,
Tvashṭṛ, Agni, &c. ) RV.
v, 2, 7. [ 226, 3 ]
ṛ́bhvas mfn. clever, skilful, prudent, wise ( N. of Indra,
Tvashṭṛ, Agni, &c. ) RV.
v, 2, 7. [ 226, 3 ]
ṛllaka ṛllarī , ṛllīsaka , probably wrong
readings for jhallaka , &c., qq. v
ṛ́śa m. the male of a species of antelope = the next AV.
iv, 4, 7
ṛ́śya or ( in later texts )
ṛṣya m. the male of a species of antelope, the painted or
white-footed antelope RV.
viii, 4, 10 AV.
v, 14, 3 VS.
• N. of a Ṛshi ĀrshBr.
• of a son of Devâtithi BhP.
• ( am ), n. hurt, violation T. (
for the explanation of ṛśya-da ) : [ cf. riśya . ]
ṛ́śya-ketana and m. N. of A-niruddha L.
ṛ́śya-ketu m. N. of A-niruddha L.
ṛ́śya-gatā f. Asparagus Racemosus L.
ṛ́śya-gandhā f. a species of plant Car.
ṛ́śya-jihva n. a kind of leprosy Car.
ṛ́śya-dá n. a pit ( for catching antelopes BRD.
• as hurting what falls into it T. )
ṛ́śya-proktā f. N. of several plants
ṛ́śya-mūka m. N. of a mountain VP.
ṛ́śya-lobha m. N. of a man
ṛ́śya-śṛṅga m. N. of several men
ṛśyâṅka m. N. of A-niruddha L.
ṛśyâdi m. N. of a gaṇa Pāṇ.
ṛśyaka mfn. ifc. having the colour of or looking like the
white-footed antelope R.
ṛṣ cl. 1. P. arṣati , ānarṣa , arṣitā
, to flow, flow quickly, glide, move with a quick motion RV.
• to bring near by flowing RV.
• [ Gk.
? ( ? )
• ?, 'flowing back'
• ?, 'darting [ 226, 3 ] back.' ]
ṛṣabhá m. ( fr. √ 2. ṛṣ Uṇ.
ii, 123 ), a bull ( as impregnating the flock
• cf. vṛṣabha and ukṣan ) RV.
• any male animal in general ŚBr.
• the best or most excellent of any kind or race ( cf. puruṣarṣabha
, &c. ) MBh.
• the second of the seven notes of the Hindū gamut ( abbreviated into Ṛ )
• a kind of medicinal plant Suśr.
• a particular antidote Suśr.
ii, 276, 7
• a particular Ekâha ( q. v. ) KātyŚr.
• the fifteenth Kalpa
• N. of several men
• of an ape
• of a Nāga
• of a mountain
• of a Tīrtha
• ( ās ), m. pl. the inhabitants of Krauñca-dvīpa BhP.
v, 20, 22
• N. of a people VarBṛS.
• ( ii ), f. a woman with masculine peculiarities ( as with a
beard &c. ) L.
• a widow L.
• Carpopogon Pruriens Car.
• another plant L. ;
• Gk. ?. ]
ṛṣabhá-kūṭa m. N. of the Hema-kūṭa, [ 226, 3 ] MBh.
ṛṣabhá-gajavilasita n. N. of a metre
ṛṣabhá-tara m. a small bull Pāṇ.
ṛṣabhá-tā f. the state of being the best, eminence, superiority
ṛṣabhá-dāyín mfn. bestowing bulls AV.
ix, 4, 20
ṛṣabhá-deva m. N. of a Tīrthaṃ-kara or Arhat ( Jain.
ṛṣabhá-dvīpa m. N. of a place
ṛṣabhá-dhvaja m. N. of Śiva L.
• of an Arhat ( Jain.
ṛṣabhá-pañcāśikā f. N. of wk.
ṛṣabhá-pūjā f. 'veneration of the bull', a particular observance
iii, 6, 12
ṛṣabhá-vat mfn. containing the word ṛṣabha TāṇḍyaBr.
ṛṣabhá-stava m. N. of wk.
ṛṣabhânana m. N. of a Jina
ṛṣabhaka m. a bull Nigh.
• a kind of medicinal plant Suśr.
• N. of a king Kathās.
• of a mountain Kathās.
ṛṣ cl. 6. P. ṛṣati , ānarṣa , arṣitā ,
to go, move Dhātup.
• to stab, kill AV.
ix, 4, 17
• to push, thrust
ṛṣad-gu m. N. of a man MBh.
ṛṣṭa mfn. pushed, thrust
ṛṣṭí f. a spear, lance, sword RV.
iv, 37, 8 ; 9 ; viii, 3, 7 ; [ O.
Pers. arstis ; Zd. arsti . ]
ṛṣṭí-mát mfn. furnished with spears ( as the Maruts ) RV.
ṛṣṭí-vidyut ( [ RSTí° ] ), mfn. glancing or glittering with
swords ( as the Maruts ) RV.
i, 168, 5 ; v, 52, 13
ṛṣṭí-ṣeṇa m. N. of a man ( cf. riṣṭi . )
ṛṣṭika ās m. pl., N. of a people R.
ṛ́ṣi m. ( √ 2. ṛṣ Comm.
• ṛṣati jñānena saṃsāra-pāram T.
• perhaps fr. an obsolete √ ṛṣ for √ dṛś , 'to See ?'
cf. ṛṣi-kṛt ), a singer of sacred hymns, an inspired poet or sage,
any person who alone or with others invokes the deities in rhythmical speech
or song of a sacred character ( e. g. the ancient hymn-singers Kutsa, Atri,
Rebha, Agastya, Kuśika, Vasishṭha, Vy-aśva ) RV.
• the Ṛshis were regarded by later generations as patriarchal sages or
saints, occupying the same position in India history as the heroes and
patriarchs of other countries, and constitute a peculiar class of beings in
the early mythical system, as distinct from gods, men, Asuras, &c. AV.
x, 10, 26 ŚBr.
• they are the authors or rather seers of the Vedic hymns, i. e. according
to orthodox Hindū ideas they are the inspired personages to whom these hymns
were revealed, and such an expression as 'the Ṛshi says' is equivalent to 'so
it stands in the sacred text' [ 227, 1 ]
• seven Ṛshis, sapta ṛṣayaḥ , or saptaṛṣayaḥ or
saptarṣayaḥ , are often mentioned in the Brāhmaṇas and later works as
typical representatives of the character and spirit of the pre-historic or
• in ŚBr.
xiv, 5, 2, 6 their names are given as follows, Gotama, Bharadvāja,
Viśvā-mitra, Jamadagni, Vasishṭha, Kaśyapa, and Atri
• in MBh.
xii, Marīci, Atri, Aṅgiras, Pulaha, Kratu, Pulastya, Vasishṭha are given as
the names of the Ṛshis of the first Manvantara, and they are also called
Prajāpatis or patriarchs
• the names of the Ṛshis of the subsequent Manv-antaras are enumerated in
• afterwards three other names are added, viz. Pracetas or Daksha, Bhṛgu,
and Nārada, these ten being created by Manu Svāyambhuva for the production of
all other beings including gods and men ĀśvŚr.
• in astron. the seven Ṛshis form the constellation of 'the Great Bear RV.
x, 82, 2 AV.
vi, 40, 1 ŚBr.
• ( metaphorically the seven Ṛshis may stand for the seven senses or the
seven vital airs of the body VS.
• a saint or sanctified sage in general, an ascetic, anchorite ( this is a
• sometimes three orders of these are enumerated, viz. Devarshis,
Brahmarshis, and Rājarshis
• sometimes seven, four others being added, viz. Maharshis, Paramarshis,
Śrutarshis, and Kāṇdarshis ) Mn.
• xi, 236 Śak.
• the seventh of the eight degrees of Brāhmans Hcat.
• a hymn or Mantra composed by a Ṛshi
• the Veda Comm.
• a symbolical expression for the number seven
• the moon
• an imaginary circle
• a ray of light L.
• the fish Cyprinus Rishi L. ;
arsan , 'a sage, a man old in wisdom'
• arrach , 'old, ancient, aged.' ],
ṛ́ṣi-kalpa m. 'almost a Ṛshi', 'similar to a Ṛshi'
• the sixth of the eight degrees of Brāhmans Hcat.
ṛ́ṣi-kulyā f. 'the river of the Ṛshis', a sacred river, N. of
Sarasvatī ( also denoting 'the river of Ṛshis, i. e. sacred hymns', Sarasvatī
being the goddess of speech ) BhP.
iii. 16, 13 ; 22, 27
• N. of a river MBh.
• of a wife of Bhūman BhP.
v, 15, 5
ṛ́ṣi-kṛt mfn. causing to see ( Sāy.
), enlightening ( said of Agni ) RV.
i, 31, 16
• enlightening ( the mind ), inspiring ( said of the Soma ) RV.
ix, 96, 18
ṛ́ṣi-gaṇa m. the company or number of sages, host of patriarchal
ṛ́ṣi-giri m. N. of a mountain in Magadha MBh.
ṛ́ṣi-gupta mfn. N. of a Buddha Lalit.
ṛ́ṣi-cāndrāyaṇa n. a particular observance or penance
ṛ́ṣi-códana mfn. animating or inspiring the Ṛshis RV.
viii, 51, 3
ṛ́ṣi-cchandas n. N. of particular metres, Rprāt
ṛ́ṣi-jāṅgalikī f. N. of a plant L.
ṛ́ṣi-tarpaṇa n. a handful of water presented as libation to the
Mn. ii, 176
• N. of wk.
ṛ́ṣi-tīrtha n. N. of a Tīrtha
ṛ́ṣi-tva n. the state of a Ṛshi MBh.
ṛ́ṣi-deva m. N. of a Buddha
ṛ́ṣi-deśa m. the country inhabited by the Ṛshis Hcat.
ṛ́ṣi-droṇa m. N. of a place
ṛ́ṣi-dvíṣ mfn. hating the Ṛshis RV.
i, 39, 10
ṛ́ṣi-pañcamī f. the fifth day in the light half of the month
ṛ́ṣi-patana m. N. of a forest near Benares Lalit.
ṛ́ṣi-putra m. the son of a Ṛshi MBh.
• N. of an author
ṛ́ṣi-putraka m. Artemisia Vulgaris
ṛ́ṣi-praśiṣṭa mfn. instructed by the Ṛshis AV.
xi, 1, 15
ṛ́ṣi-proktā f. Glycine Debilis L.
ṛ́ṣi-bandhu mfn. related to the Ṛshis RV.
viii, 100, 6
ṛ́ṣi-brāhmaṇa n. N. of wk.
ṛ́ṣi-maṇḍala n. N. of wk.
ṛ́ṣi-manas mfn. of far-seeing or enlightened mind RV.
ix, 96, 18
ṛ́ṣi-mukha n. the beginning of a Ṛshi or hymn
ṛ́ṣi-yajña m. sacrifice to the Ṛshis, i. e. study of the Veda Mn.
ṛ́ṣi-loka m. the world of the Ṛshis ( cf. deva-loka , [
brahma-l° ] ) MBh.
ṛ́ṣi-vát ind. like a Ṛshi RV.
x, 66, 14 Mn.
Contents of this page