• A Practical Sanskrikt Dictionary,
by A. A. Macdonell, 1893,
- Nataraj ed., 1st in 2006, 2012.
- https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/macdonell/ 190516
• The Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary, BHS, vol.2, by F. Edgerton, pp. 627.
- FEdgerton-BHSD<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 180627)
• The Student's Pali English dictionary , by U Pe Maung Tin, 1920.
- (ref: UPMT-PEDxxx). Downloaded copies in TIL HD-PDF and SD-PDF libraries:
- UPMT-PaliDict1920<Ô> / bkp<Ô> (link chk 190113)
• Pali-Myanmar Dictionary (in Pal-Myan), by U Hoke Sein,
- (ref: UHS-PMD). The dictionary in printed form is in TIL Research Library.
• Latin-English Vocabulary II, by Hans H Ørberg, 1998
- HHOrberg-LinguaLatina<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 190624)
Edited by U Kyaw Tun (UKT) (M.S., I.P.S.T., USA),
Daw Khin Wutyi, Daw Thuzar Myint, Daw Zinthiri Han
and staff of Tun Institute of Learning (TIL).
Not for sale. No copyright. Free for everyone.
Prepared for students and staff of TIL
Research Station, Yangon, MYANMAR
- http://www.tuninst.net , www.romabama.blogspot.com
UKT notes :
Contents of this page
- VI. P. ukkha, (V.) grow light ( of the night at down), grow bright, shine (down); shine down anything upon (d.; RV.); light (ac.) away (dure); cs. P. vasaya, cause to shine (RV.). apa, drive away light. vi, shine forth, flush, dawn: pp. vyushia, grown light, turned to morning o (of night; V., C.). pari-vi, shine forth (from =) after (ab.).
- II. A. vaste, put on, wear (V., C.); envelope oneself in, assume (a form, etc.), penetrate into (V.); cs. P. vasaya (V., C.), cause or allow to put on or wear (a garment); clothe with (in.); A. envelope oneself in (in.). anu, clothe, invest with (in.); A. clothe oneself, in (ac.). ni, put on, clothe oneself in: pp. nivasita, clothed in (in.); cs. put on: pp. -vasita, clothed in (in.): occupied with (-°). sam, clothe oneself in (in.; RV.).
- I. P. vasa (A. metr. in C.; in V. only pf. pt. vavasana and with sam), stop at a place, stay overnight (ratrim), halt, stay, remain, abide, dwell, live; exist, be found in (lc.); rest or depend on (lc.); w. ac. remain in any condition, make one's abode (vasam, vasatim), practice (chastity); w. duratas, keep aloot; w. sukham, live pleasantly or at case: pp. ushita, passed, spend (time); retired to (place); having halted, passed the night, abode, dwelt, or been absent, dwelling, having waited (the place being lc., or -°, the time, ac. or -°); having cohabited with (saha); having stood or lain (of things, esp. overnight; the place in lc. or -°, time, ac. or -°); n, imps. a stay has been made, the time has been passed (in, lc.); cs. vasaya, P. A. cause to halt or stay overnight, lodge; cause to dwell; cause to wait, keep in suspense (RV.); delay, retard; cause to arist, presserve; populate; place upon (lc.); observe silence (anadhyayam mukhe); produce. adhi, occupy or settle in (a place): pp. adjyushita, occupied, inhabited; having dwelt, in (lc.); cs. allow to stand overnight. anu, follow any one (ac.) to a place. antar, dwell within. a, abide, dwell, in (lc.); occupy, settle in, inhabit; enter upon (a religious order); have sexual intercourse with a woman (ac.); cs. receive into one's house; occupy, settle in; halt, encamp for the night: pp. occupied by (-°). adha, occupy, inhabit; dwell in (lc.); enter upon, devote oneself to (ac.). sam-a, halt, encamp for the night: occupy, settle in, inhabit; cs. halt, encamp, establish oneself: pp. with act. mg. ud, cs. P. A. remove from its place (e.g. fire from the altar, etc.); devastate. upa, remain at (ac.), in (lc.); wait; ( wait with eating), fast (with ac. of food or time): pp. uposhita, having fasted, fasting; cs. cause to fast. ni, stay, dwell, in (lc.). ashi-ni, choose for one's abode. sam-ni, dwell or live together, with (in.). nis, live out=to the end of; cs. turn out of one's dwelling, expel, banish, from (ab.), to (ac.). pari, stay, live with (in.): samsargitaya-, associate with (ac.): pp. paryushita, having passed the night; having stood overnight, of yesterday, stale, spoilt (food, etc.); cs. allow to stand overnight. pra, sojourn abroad, leave home, set out on a journey, depart; deisappear, cease: pp. proshita, absent from home, being on a jounery, sojourning abroad; effaced; set (sun); cs. turn out of one's abode, banish; des. P. pra-vivatsa, intend to go on a journey, be about to depart from (ab.). vi-pra, set out on a journey, go or live abroad; pp. absent from home; departed to (ac.); banished; gd. vi-proshya, after a journey; cs. bansih,from (ab.); sam-pra, pp. disappeared, set (sun). prati, dwell; cs. lodge, receive into one's house (lc.). vi, depart from (ab.); spend, pass (time; ac.): pp. vyushita, absent from home; having passed (time: ac.); inhabited by (-°); cs. expel from one's residence, banish; dismiss. sam, P. A. dwell together; live or associate with (ac., in. saha); dwell, live, in (lc.); pass, spend (time); cs. cause to live together, with (in. saha; V.); receive into one's house, lodge.
Contents of this page
- (RV., very rare, only vasishva, -vavase, vavasana), rush at, attack, anu, hasten towards or consume (RV.1).
- cs. P. -vasaya (very rare), ud, cut off or away (i). ni, pp. -vasita, deprived of life (v. r. -patita). pari, cut off (around), cut out (Br., S.).
• वसति [vas-atí]
- f. staying overnight; dwelling, abiding, sojourn; nest (V.); residence, abode, house; seat (fig.) of (g., --°); night (rare); -m kri, grah, or bandh, pass the night; take up one's abode, in (lc.); tisro vasatîr ushitvâ, having halted at three stages, having passed three nights: -druma, m. tree under which the night is passed.
• वसतीवरी [vasatî-várî]
- f. pl. water left standing overnight (drawn from a stream on the eve of the Soma sacrifice).
• वसन 1. [vas-ana]
- n. dwelling, sojourn, residence in (--°).
• वसन 2. [vás-ana]
- n. dress, garment, cloth (du. upper and lower garment): --°, clothed in, also fig.=surrounded by, attached to (a doctrine): -vat, a. clothed; -sadman, n. (cloth-house), tent; -̮arnava, a. sea-girt.
• वसन्त [vas-ant-á]
- m. [brilliant season: fr. pr. pt. of √1. vas] spring (also personified); N.: -ka, m. id.; -kâla, m. spring time; -tilaka, n. ornament of spring; a metre (also â, f.); m. N.; -pushpa, n. flower of spring; -bandhu, m. friend of spring, god of love; -bhânu, m. N. of a king; mahotsava, m. great spring festival; -yodha, m. spring as a warrior; -râga, m. king spring; N. of a grammarian: î-ya, n. work composed by Vasanta-râga; -̮ritu, m. spring season; -lekhâ, f. N.; -srî, f. pomp of spring; -sakha, m. friend of spring, ep. of the wind blowing from the Malaya; -samaya, m. spring-time: -̮utsava, m. spring festival, lovely time of spring; -sahâya, m. god of love; -sena, m. N. of a king: â, f. N.
• वसन्ता [vasántâ] (or aN)
- ad. in spring (V.).
• वसन्तोत्सव [vasanta̮utsava]
- m. festival of spring.
• वसर्हन् [vasar-hán]
- a. striking in the morning=destroying the demons of night at dawn (RV.1).
• वसवान [vásav-âna]
- m. possessor or preserver of wealth (RV.).
• वसव्य [vasav-yã]
- a. (V.) affluent (gods); n. wealth (V.).
• वसा [vás-â]
- (in TS. aN) [shining, white: √1. vas] suet, lard, fat; brain.
• वसाति [vas-âti]
- f. dawn (?; occurs once in a quotation in the Nirukta); m. N. of a people (pl.); N.
• वसामय [vasâ-maya]
- a. (î) consisting of fat; -̮avasesha-malina, a. dirty with remains of fat; -homá, m. offering of fat.
• वसिष्ठ [vás-ishtha]
- spv. [brightest: √1. vas] best, most excellent, wealthiest (V., E.); m. N. of one of the leading Vedic Rishis, com- poser of the seventh Mandala of the RV.; in C. he is regarded as one of the seven Rishis and is mentioned as a lawgiver (often incorrectly spelt Vasishtha).
Contents of this page
• वसीयस् [vás-îyas]
- cpv. better, than (ab.): faring better, wealthier (V.).
• वसु [vás-u]
- a. [v-î; bright: √1. vas] good, beneficent (V.); m. ep. of various gods and of the gods in general; pl. the Vasus, a class of gods (their number being usually eight; Indra is their chief, later Agni and Vishnu); ray of light (C., rare); N.; n. goods, wealth, property (V., C., very common); gold (C., very rare); gem, pearl (C., very rare).
• वसुकृत् [vasu-krit]
- m. N. of a poet of the RV.; -kra, m. N. of a poet of the RV.; -da, a. bestowing wealth; -datta, m. N.: â, f. N.: (a)-pura, n. N. of a town; -daN, a. wealth-bestowing, bountiful (V.); -daNvan, a. id. (V.); -deva, m. (having the Vasus for deities), N. of a king, father of Krishna; N. of various men: -putra, m. son of Vasudeva, Krishna.
• वसुधा [vasu-dhaN]
- a. yielding wealth, bountiful (V., rare); â, f. (C.) earth; country, region; ground: -tala, n. surface of the earth, earth; ground; -dhara, a. supporting or maintaining the earth (Vishnu); m. mountain; king; -̮adhipa, -̮adhipati, m. lord of earth or of the country, king; -̮âdhipatya, n. sovereignty; -pati, m. king.
• वसुधार [vasu-dhâra]
- a. handling treasure (officials); -dhârâ, f. stream of wealth or gifts: -maya, a. consisting of a stream of wealth; -dhârin-î, f. earth; -nanda, m. N. of a king; -nemi, m. N. of a snake demon.
• वसुंधर [vasu-m-dhara]
- a. holding or containing treasure; m. N.: â, f. earth; country; soil; ground; N.: -dhara, m. mountain; -dhava, m. spouse of earth, king; -bhrit, m. mountain; -sunâsîra, m. king.
• वसुपति [vásu-pati]
- m. lord of wealth, ep. of Agni, Indra, or Savitri (RV.), or of Kubera; lord of the Vasus (Krishna); -pâlita, m. N.; -bandhu, m. N. of a celebrated Buddhistic scholar; -bhûti, m. N.
• वसुमत् [vásu-mat]
- a. possessing or containing wealth, rich; accompanied by the Vasus; m. N.: -î, f. (C.) earth; country, region; ground; N.: -pati, m. lord of earth, king, -sûnu, m. son of Vasumatî, Naraka.
• वसुमति [vasu-mati]
- m. N. -mitra, m. N.; -rakshita, m. N.; -lakshmî, f. N. of Agnimitra's sister-in-law.
• वसुवनि [vasu-váni]
- a. desiring or bestowing wealth (V.); -víd, a. bestowing wealth (V.); -vinda, a. gaining wealth; -sakti, m. N.; (vásu)-sravas, a. famed for wealth (RV.1); m. ep. of Siva (C.); -sampûrna, pp. filled with wealth.
• वसूया [vasû-yaN]
- in. ad. through desire of wealth (V.).
• वसूयु [vasû-yú]
- a. desiring wealth (RV.).
• वस्तव्य [vas-tavya]
- fp. to be spent (time); n. imps. one should stay or dwell, in or with (lc.).
• वस्ति [vasti]
- m. bladder; f. abdomen (below the navel); m. f. syringe: -mûla, n. (bottom =) aperture of the bladder; -sîrsha, n. sg. or m. du. neck of the bladder.
• वस्तु 1. [vás-tu]
- f. (V.) growing light, dawning; morning: vástoh, g. in the morning; vástor vastoh, every morning; vástor asyaNh, this morning; práti vástoh, towards morning.
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
End of TIL file