A Practical Sanskrikt Dictionary,
by A. A. Macdonell, 1893,
- Nataraj ed., 1st in 2006, 2012.
- https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/macdonell/ 190516
The Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary, BHS, vol.2, by F. Edgerton, pp. 627.
- FEdgerton-BHSD<Ō> / Bkp<Ō> (link chk 180627)
The Student's Pali English dictionary , by U Pe Maung Tin, 1920.
- (ref: UPMT-PEDxxx). Downloaded copies in TIL HD-PDF and SD-PDF libraries:
- UPMT-PaliDict1920<Ō> / bkp<Ō> (link chk 190113)
Pali-Myanmar Dictionary (in Pal-Myan), by U Hoke Sein,
- (ref: UHS-PMD). The dictionary in printed form is in TIL Research Library.
Latin-English Vocabulary II, by Hans H Ųrberg, 1998
- HHOrberg-LinguaLatina<Ō> / Bkp<Ō> (link chk 190624)
Edited by U Kyaw Tun (UKT) (M.S., I.P.S.T., USA),
Daw Khin Wutyi, Daw Thuzar Myint, Daw Zinthiri Han
and staff of Tun Institute of Learning (TIL).
Not for sale. No copyright. Free for everyone.
Prepared for students and staff of TIL
Research Station, Yangon, MYANMAR
- http://www.tuninst.net , www.romabama.blogspot.com
UKT notes :
Contents of this page
- a. having an empty stomach; -kaumudī, f. the short Kaumudī (an abridgement of the Siddhānta-kaumudī); -krama, a. having a quick step, hurrying: -m, ad. quickly; -gati, a. swift-paced; -kitta, a. light-minded, fickle; -ketas, a. littleminded, mean-spirited; -kkhedya, fp. easy to destroy (prob. incorr. for -̮ukkhedya); -tā, f., tva, n. activity, nimbleness; lightness; buoyancy, light-heartedness; prosodical shortness; smallness, shortness; insignificance; levity, thoughtlessness; lack of dignity, contempt, degradation; -patana-ka, m. (swiftflying), N. of a crow; -parikrama, a. moving quickly; -pāka, a. growing old quickly; easily digested; -pātin, a. (flying quickly), N. of a crow; -pramāna, a. short; -prayatna, a. pronounced with slight effort; -bhāva, m. ease; -bhug, a. eating little; -mūla, a. having insignificant roots, insignificant at the beginning; -vikrama, m. quick step; a. quick-footed; -vivara-tva, n. narrowness of aperture; -vritti, a. of a light nature, light; frivolous: -tā, f. levity; -sattva, a. having a weak character; -samutthāna, a. rising up quickly, prompt; -sāra, a. insignificant, worthless; -hasta, a. light-handed, adroit (of archers, scribes, etc.): -tā, f., -tva, n. adroitness of hand, dexterity; -hārīta, m. abridged Hārīta (author of a law-book).
- lessen, make easier,facilitaste; shorten; degrade, humble; esteem lightly.
- f. short mode of expression; -̮utthāna, a. quickly setabout; prompt, full of alacrity; -̮utthita, pp. prompt.
- a. eating little; -̮āhāra, a. id.
- (personal terminations of ) the imperfect.
- f. N. Ceylon (in E. the home of the Rākshasas under Rāvana): -̮anila, m. wind from Ceylon, south wind; -̮ari, m. foe of Laṅkā, ep. of Rāma; -̮īsvara, m. ep. of Rāvana; -̮udaya, m. sunrise in Laṅkā.
- a. lame.
- n. plough (= lāṅgala).
- I. Iangha [collateral of rangh], A. go across, go beyound; P. leap upon (ac.); waste, consume; cs. langhaya, P. (A.) leap over, cross (bounds, maryadam, sthitim); traverse (a distance); pass over, asend, enter; overatep, viloate, transgress, disobey (command etc.); get over, escape form; prevent, avoid, avert; (pass over), disregard, offend, insult, injure; surpass; obscure, eclipse (fame); remove, transport; cause to (pass by meals=) fast: pp. langhita. ati, ca. leap over (ac.); transgrass. abhi, cs. leap or step over , cross; transgress, violate; commit an offence against any one (ac.). ava, cs. get over, pass (time). ud, cs. go over or beyond, cross, pass; traverse (a distance); pass, spend (time); mount to (ac.); transgress, violate; abandon (a path): get over, escape from (ac.); insult: pp. ullanghita. sam-ud, cs, transgress, violate, neglact; get across. pari, cs. forsake (a path). prati, seat oneself upon (ac.); transgress, violate. vi, leap, rise up to (ac.); cs. leap over, pass, cross; traverse (a distance); overstep (bounds: sthitim): miss, transgress (proper time); rise to or towards (the sky); avoid, not comply with (ac.); violate, transgress; overcome; battle, defy (efforts); set aside, abandon; surpass; cause to fast
Contents of this page
- n. leaping; bounding or passing over, crossing (g., --°), traversing (a road: --°); curvetting (of a horse); rising to or towards (--°); sexual union (with a female); capture (of a fort); conquest; transgression (of a command etc.); disdain; offence, injury; exposure (to heat: --° w. ātapa-); fasting; -anīya, fp. to be crossed or traversed; -- overtaken; -- transgressed (command); who may be insulted; -ya, fp. to be leapt or passed over, -- crossed; -- traversed (road); -- transgressed; -- neglected; attainable; assailable; to be made to fast.
- I. (P.) A. lagga, be ashamed, before (ab.), of (anyone, in., rarely g.; a thing, in.), to (inf.): pp. laggita, embarrassed, ashamed, of (any one, in., anything, -°); bashful; cs. P. isggaya, cause any one to be ashamed, imspire with shame. vi, be ashamed, to (inf.): pp. ashamed, at (-°), sam, be ashamed.
- f. shame, bashfulness, embarrassment; being ashamed of (--°): putrau yuvām me kā laggā, you two are my sons; why should I be ashamed of you? -kara, a. (ī) causing shame, disgraceful, to (--°); -̮ākriti, a. feigning shame.
- den. pp. ashamed; embarrassed; n. embarrassment (pl.).
- a. bashful (Pr.).
- a. bashful; embarrassed; -sīla, a. id.; -̮āvaha, a. shameful.
- pp.; n. shame, modesty.
- (personal terminnations of) the present.
- a. pretty, beautiful, charming: ā, f. fair maiden.
- I. P. lada, move about (very rare).
- a. (Pr. = latabha) pretty, beautiful, charming.
- kind of sweetmeat: -ka, m. n. id.
- f. N.
- n. excrement.
- London (prob. fr. French Londres).
- f. creeping plant, creeper (ord. mg.: often--° with words meaning brow, arm, locks, slender body, sword-blade, lightning, to express leauty, thinness, tenderness etc.); branch; N. of the Mādhavī creeper (Gaertnera racemosa); lash of a whip; pearl necklace; slender woman; woman: -griha, n. bower of creepers, arbour; -̮anta, n. (?) flower: -bāna, m. (flower-arrowed), god of love; -pāsa, m. festoon of creepers; -mandapa, m. bower of creepers, arbour; -mādhavī, f. the Mādhavī creeper (Gaertnera racemosa); -̮ālaya, m. dwelling of creepers (of an owl); -valaya, m. n. arbour of creepers: -vat, a. provided with arbours; -veshtita-ka, n. embrace of a creeper.
- f. small or slender creeper (arms and slim forms are compared with it); string of pearls.
- I. P. (A. metr.) lapa [later from of rap], chatter, talk (also of brids); whisper, murmur; lament; cs. lapaya, P. cause to speak; intv. lalapiti, prate senselessly (V.); lalapyate, lament; address repeatedly (E.) apa, deny, disown: pp. lapita, embezzled. abhi, chatter or talk about; designate, name. a, address; converse, with (samam, saha); speak, talk; say to (2 ac.): cs. enter into conversation with, speak to (ac.). upa a, speak of , mention. sam-a, converse with (ac.). ud, cs. caress. samud, lift up one's voice, begin to speak. pra, talk heedlessly or at random, plate; converse, talk; exclaim; lament; say or tell dolefully; invokepiteously; cs. cause to speak. vi-pra, declate in detail; lament. vi, utter unintelligible sounds; lament, for (prati); bewail; utter lamentations (ac.); utter variously; cs. cause to lament; cause to talk much. sam, converse; name; cs. address (any one).
Contents of this page
- n. mouth; -itį, (pp.) n. chatter, hum.
- m. a demon injurious to children.
- a. bearded (goat; V.).
- m. (V.) quail (Perdix chinensis); N. of the author of a hymn.
- pp. (√labh) obtained, acquired, found etc.: -kāma, a. having obtained a desire, fulfilled (request); -datta, m. N. of a man who gave away what he received; -nāman, a. having obtained a name, renowned, for (lc.); -nāsa, m. loss of what has been acquired; -nidrā-sukha, a. enjoying the pleasure of sleep; -para-bhāga, a. preeminent above, surpassing (ab.); -pranāsa, m. loss of what has been acquired: T. of the fourth book of the Pańkatantra; -pratyaya, a. having a firm belief in anything: -tā, f. abst. n. (Pr.); -prasara, a. having obtained free scope, unchecked; -laksha, a. having obtained the victory, tried, in (lc.); -lakshana, a. having obtained an opportunity; -lābha, a. having attained one's object; having successfully obtained (--°); successfully acquired; -vat, pp. act. (he) obtained; -vara, a. having obtained a boon; m. N. of a dancing master; -varna, a. (having learned one's letters), learned, in (lc.): -bhāg, a. patronizing the learned.
- fp. obtainable.
- a. having acquired a name, renowned; -̮antara, a. having (found) an opportunity (-tva, n. abst. n.); -̮avasara, a. id.; -̮avakāsa, a. having gained an opportunity or scope; -̮āspada, a. having gained a footing.
- f. [√labh+ti] obtainment, acquisition, of (g., --°); gain, profit; preservation of (life); discovery or perception of (--°); ascertainment; quotient.
- a. having obtained a rise (king); produced.
- I. (P.) A. labha [later from of rabh], catch; fall in with, find; catch sight of; gain possession of, obtain, acquire, receive, from (ab.), as (ac.); recover; obtain an opportunity to (inf. or d. of vbl. N.); possess, have; perceive, recognise; ascertain:L antaram-, find an opportunity; make an impression on (g.); avakaram-, find scope be appropriate; kalam -, find the right moment for (lc. of vbl. N.): padam -, obtain a footing; samgnam-, regain consciouaness: ps. labhyate, be found or met with; be obtained; be permitted or allowed to (inf. sts. with ps. mg.); result; be comprehended by. come under the notion of: pp. labdha; cr. P. lambhaya, cause any one (ac.) to obtain (ac., rarely in.); give any one (ac.) a sign (samgnam); obtain, receive; find out, discover; des. lipas, P. (metr.), A. wish to catch, obtain, acquire or receive, long for, from (ab.). anu, catch from behind. abhi, touch, obtain, acquire or receive, long for, from (ab.). anu, catch form behind. abhi, touch; obtain, from (ab.); des. wish to catch or obtain. a, catch; touch (often feet, head, body satyam, satyema, tens satyena, or tatha, in oaths); catch = sacrifice ( a victim or offering); begin, undertake (V.), obtam, acquire, gain; ca. cause to touch; des. wish to touch; -sacrifice. anua, catch (from behind), take hold of, touch; adhere to (ac.). upa a, blame, reproach, reprove; cs. id. sam-a, take hold of, touch; gain, obtain; anoint: pp. come into contact with (-°). upa, catch, find; obtain, acquire; perceive; experience, learn to know ascertain, understand, know: garbham-, conceive; ps. beobtained; be perceived as (in. of abst. N.); w. na, not be known; be incomprehensible; cs. cause any one to obtain, bestow on; cause to be known. prati upa, regain, recover. sam-upa, obtain; get to know. pra, seize; obtain; deceive, dupe, make a fool of. vipra, deceive, impose upon; mock at, insult prati, recover, regain ( with darsanam, see again); obtain, gain; learn that any one is (2 ac.); wait for; cs. provide any one with (in.). wi, bestow, procure; surrender, deliver up, hand over; cs. bestow (ac.) on (ac.). sam, obtain.
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
End of TIL file