• A Practical Sanskrikt Dictionary,
by A. A. Macdonell, 1893,
- Nataraj ed., 1st in 2006, 2012.
- https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/macdonell/ 190516
• The Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary, BHS, vol.2, by F. Edgerton, pp. 627.
- FEdgerton-BHSD<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 180627)
• The Student's Pali English dictionary , by U Pe Maung Tin, 1920.
- (ref: UPMT-PEDxxx). Downloaded copies in TIL HD-PDF and SD-PDF libraries:
- UPMT-PaliDict1920<Ô> / bkp<Ô> (link chk 190113)
• Pali-Myanmar Dictionary (in Pal-Myan), by U Hoke Sein,
- (ref: UHS-PMD). The dictionary in printed form is in TIL Research Library.
• Latin-English Vocabulary II, by Hans H Ørberg, 1998
- HHOrberg-LinguaLatina<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 190624)
Edited by U Kyaw Tun (UKT) (M.S., I.P.S.T., USA),
Daw Khin Wutyi, Daw Thuzar Myint, Daw Zinthiri Han
and staff of Tun Institute of Learning (TIL).
Not for sale. No copyright. Free for everyone.
Prepared for students and staff of TIL
Research Station, Yangon, MYANMAR
- http://www.tuninst.net , www.romabama.blogspot.com
UKT notes :
Contents of this page
- m. N. : pl. his descendants and a certain school.
- ab. ( of ya), cj. as, because (± corr. atas, tatas, tad, tasmât, tena).
- speed, rush
• यहु [yáh-u]
- a. mighty (RV.).
- RV. a. (î) restless, active, swift; constant; ever-flowing.
- pr. pl. (-î) ever-flowing.
• [YA] II. P. ya-ti (V., C.)
- move, go, walk, proceed; advance, march, - against the enemy; travel; set out, go away, withdraw, depart; keep aloof; flee, escape (palayya); lead (road); pass, elapse; vanish, disappear; come to pass, succeed; behave; 1. with cases: (a) ac. go to, come to (the ears, and end); fall into (one's hand); fall in with; reach, arrive at; march against; lead to (of a road); come within range of (-patham, goharam with g. or -°); set out on (a march, yatram); enter on or pursue ( a path or road: advanam, gatim, panthanam, margam); bow down to (the earth, the feet, with one's head); have connexion with (a woman); reach (a distance), last (a time, month, etc.); undertake (business); be reduced to, fall into, incur, undergo, attain (a condition: like gam or i, very freuqently used with abst. nouns and often to be variously translated by a passive, an int. vb., or to become with the corresponding adjective: e.g. samparkam, be united; nidhanam-, perish; darsanam, become visible; dveshyatam, grow adjous); experience ( one festival after another, utsavad utsavam); return (to one's natural condition); beg, implore (2 ac.; RV.); (b) with d. go for or in order to (vbl. N., e.g. collecting); benefit (any one); (c.) w. lc. go to; turn towards ( of the mind); 2. w. inf. go to = for the purpose of (e.g. playing); 3. w. prp. prati, go in the direction of, march against; 4. w. adverbs: kshemena, escape unscathed; khandasas or dalasas, go to pieces; satadha, break into a hundred pieces; yatu, let it pass, be that as it may, no matter: pp. yata, gone, etc.; departed; escaped, elapsed; vanished, perished; gone to (ac. or -°); come or fallen into (lc., e.g. one's hand): m, n. imps.: maya padayoh, I threw myself at her feet; kva tad yatam, what has become of that? cs. yapaya, P. cause to depart, dismiss; cause to march; direct (the gaze) towards (lc.); remove, dispel (bashfulness); pass, spend (time); cause to attain (2 ac.); des. yiyasa, P. intend or be about to go, march, depart, or reach; intv. iyayate, move (int.). akkha, come near, approach ati, pass, pass by ( a place) ; overcome; pass over; transgress. anu, go or betake oneself to (ac.); follow; follow (a husband) in death (= be burned with him); attain, equal (fame), imitate (grace): pp. w. act, and ps. mg. apa, go away, withdraw, depart, flee, from (ab.); desist from (ab.). abhi, go to meet; march against; repair or go to (heaven= die); approach; make an attack; devote oneself to; attain: pp. act. & ps. mg. ava (V.), approach, from (a. w. ab); turn away, avert. a, come near, advance, approach, form (ab.); come towards or to (ac.); attain, obtain, undergo ( w. abst. nouns like simple vb.: e.g. bandhanam, be bound; kshayam, be ruined; samko-kam, be diminished; tosham, be satisfied; pankatvam, die; hetutam, become the cause, etc.); strike (arrows), befal, accrue to (ac.); fall upon anyone (g., e.g. sleep); result; be suitable for any one (g.) to (inf.); punar come again; be born again; astam, set; die; karna-patham, come to the ears; sammukham, come to meet: pp. ayata, come etc.; -° w. abhimukha, come towards. atia, pass by (ac.; RV.). upa a, approach, come to (ac.; or sts. d. of prs.l RV.) ; attain (a condition); astam, set; die. abhiu pea, approach. sam-upa, come to (tatra or ac. of prs.): pp. come. pra a, approach (RV.) prati a, come, back, return, to (ac.); go to meet. sam-a, approach together; meet (also of roads); approach, come (also of time); come form or out of (ab.) come or go to (ac. or lc. of place), towards (ac. of prs.) elapse, come or fall uponm anyone (g., e. g. sleep); obtain, attain (a condition, e. g. increase, satisfaction); pp. approached, come, arrived, etc. ud, rise (sun; RV.); go out of or away from (ab.); fly forth from (a bow: ab.); rise, to (ac.); arise; surpass. pratiud, rise to meet, go forth to meet (as a friend or foe): pp. welcomed, by (-°) upa, approach, come also of time); visit, come or go to , esp. for protection (ac., also lc. of place or iha, yatra); have connexion with (a woman, ac.); meet, befall; fall into, undergo, attain, find ( common like the simple vb., w. abst. nouns, e. g. joy, dejection, thinness, etc.); indulge in (ac.); pp. act. & ps. mg. prati upa, return, to (ac. with prati or lc.). ni, (V.) drive ever or across (ac.); come down to (ac.); fall into (sin. ac.). nis, go or march out, of (ab.), to or onto (ac.), for the purpose of (d. of vbl. N.); leave the house; issue form (ab.); decease; elapae; lay be (money): pp. niryata, gone out, issued, from (ab. or-°); cs. cause to go or marchout; drive out, of (ab.): pp. niryapita, removed (P.); undertaken (P.). abhi-nis, go or march out of, depart from (ab.). for the purpose of (d. of vb,. N.). vinis, go out, of (ab.), for the purpose of (d. of vbl. N. ), against (prati); pp. viniryata, gone out of, issuing from (-°). pari, wander about; go or walk round; wander over or through; surround (RV.); compass, guard (RV.); avoid (RV.); approach. anu-pari, drive around (the quarters) in succession. pra, go forth; set out; go or repair to (ac. akkha, or prati, lc., tatra, etc.), from or out of (ab.) march against (ac.); lead (road), flow (river) towards (ac.); arrive at (ac.); go, walk, depart, vanish; fly asunder, be dispersed; depart = die; elapse; fall into, undergo, attain, incur (like simple rb. very common with abst. nouns); go on, behave: pp. prayata, procceeding, going, flying; gone to; dead; elapsed; cs. cause to set out; des. wish to set out.; anu-pra, set out after any one (ac.), accompany; take the way to (ac.): attack. pari-pra, come travel round (ac.; RV.1). prati-pra, come near (RV.) return, to (ac.); flow back. sam-pra, set out (together), go or flow to (ac. prati); move (stars); attain (a state). (ac. prati); move (stars); attain (a state). prati, come or go to return to (ac.). vi, (V.) drive through (with a car), cut through (with wheels); traverse; depart. sam, go together; come together, unite; come into conflict with (ac.), flight; go to (ac. prati); move (stars); attain to (ac.). vi, (V.) drive through (with a car), cut through (with wheels); travers; depart. sam, go together; come together, unite; come into conflict with (ac.), fight; go to (ac. prati); come, approach; enter into, attain, acquire (body, birth). anu-sam, go up and down; go to, visit (ac.). prati-sam, set out against, attack.
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
• या 1. [yâ]
- a. going (--°).
• या 2. [yaN]
- rel. yá.
- a. belonging to the Yakshas.
• [YAK] I. yaka, entreat, ask, beg, implore (2 ac.); ask of (sis. ab., rarely g., the object sts. also with arthe, artham. ac. prati, or d. of vbl. N.); ask for (a girl) in marriage (from, ab., rerely ac., for any one, krite, arthe); offer or tender anytining (ac.) to (d.): w. punar, ask anything back; ps. yakyate, be asked (rarely of object: for, ac.): pp. yakita, solicited, begged; borrowed; entrested, asked for a gift, importuned; cs. yakaya, P. cause to ask; request anything (ac.) for any one (-arthe). anu, beseech any one (ac.) with regard to anything. abhi, beseech, implore, solicit (2 ac.); ask anyone (ac.) for a girl (ac.) in marriage: pp. besought, asked, for (ac.). upa, pp. asked (person); solicited (thing). pra, beseech, implore, ask for (2 ac.). sam, solicit, ask (any one).
- m. petitioner, beggar: î, f. female beggar; -ana, n. begging, soliciting, asking for (--°); asking in marriage (--°): -ka, m. beggar; -anâ, f. asking, soliciting; request, petition, entreaty for (--°); solicitation of any one (--°): -m kri, fulfil a request; -anîya, fp. to be requested; -ita, pp. asked, etc.: -ka, a. borrowed; n. borrowed sum or object; -i-tavya, fp. to be asked; to be asked for a girl (ac.) in marriage by (in.); -in, a. begging for (--°); -ishnu, a. asking, soliciting; m. petitioner: -tâ, f. solicitation of favours.
- f. soliciting, asking, for (--°); begging, mendicity; request, entreaty, petition; asking for (a girl) in marriage: -m kri, fulfil a request; -gîvana, n. subsistence by begging; -bhaṅga, m. vain request; -vakas, n. pl. words of solicitation.
- fp. to be requested, -- asked for alms; -- demanded; asked for; to be wooed (women); n. begging, mendicancy.
• [yag] m. sacrificer: -a, m. (-°) sacrificer; sacrifice; -a-ka, m. sacrificial priest (-°) with the institutor of the sacrifice and with the deity sacrificed to); ana, n. performance of a sacrifice of (g. or -°); aniya, cs. fp. for whom one may act as sacrificier; a-man-ika, a. relating to the institutor of a sacrifice (yagamana); -ayitr, m. officiating priest; -in, a. sacrificing or having sacrificed; m. sacrificer (gnly, -° with the offering or the deity).
- a. relating to the Yagur-veda; -vaidika, a. id.
- a. (î) relating to the Yagus formulae.
- a. relating to sacrifice: -valkîya, a. derived from or relating to Yâgñavalkya; n. Yâgñavalkya's law-book; (yaNgña)valkya, m. pat. N. of an ancient teacher; -sena, m. pat. of Sikhandin: î, f. pat. of Draupadî.
- a. (î) belonging or relating to sacrifice; m. one versed in sacrifice, ritualist; -ik-ya, n. rules of the ritualists; -iya, a. belonging to or suitable for sacrifice; m. one conversant with sacrifice, ritualist.
Back to the Search Page |
Back to the
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
End of TIL file