• A Practical Sanskrikt Dictionary,
by A. A. Macdonell, 1893,
- Nataraj ed., 1st in 2006, 2012.
- https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/macdonell/ 190516
• The Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary, BHS, vol.2, by F. Edgerton, pp. 627.
- FEdgerton-BHSD<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 180627)
• The Student's Pali English dictionary , by U Pe Maung Tin, 1920.
- (ref: UPMT-PEDxxx). Downloaded copies in TIL HD-PDF and SD-PDF libraries:
- UPMT-PaliDict1920<Ô> / bkp<Ô> (link chk 190113)
• Pali-Myanmar Dictionary (in Pal-Myan), by U Hoke Sein,
- (ref: UHS-PMD). The dictionary in printed form is in TIL Research Library.
• Latin-English Vocabulary II, by Hans H Ørberg, 1998
- HHOrberg-LinguaLatina<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 190624)
Edited by U Kyaw Tun (UKT) (M.S., I.P.S.T., USA),
Daw Khin Wutyi, Daw Thuzar Myint, Daw Zinthiri Han
and staff of Tun Institute of Learning (TIL).
Not for sale. No copyright. Free for everyone.
Prepared for students and staff of TIL
Research Station, Yangon, MYANMAR
- http://www.tuninst.net , www.romabama.blogspot.com
UKT notes :
Contents of this page
- a. eating which food; -abhâva, m.: lc. in absence or default of which; -artha, a. having which object in view: -m, ad. wherefore, on which account; for whose sake; since, because (rare); -arthe, lc. ad. id.; -asana, a. eating which food.
• यदा [ya-dâ]
- cj. when, followed by corr. (rarely omitted) tadâ, sts. tatah, in V. also aNt, átha, ádha, and tád; the copula is often omitted, esp. after a pp.; yadâ kadâ kid, at any time, ever; yadâ tadâ, always; yadaN kadaN ka, as often as (RV.); yadâ yadâ, as often as (corr. doubled or single tadâ); yadâ̮eva -- tadâ̮eva, yadâ̮eva khalu -- tadâ prabhriti̮eva, as soon as -- at once, at the very time that -- thenceforward.
- a. having whose nature.
- (V. also i metr.), cj. if (in V. w. ind., mbj., pot., the plcs. id, u, uta, kid, be via being sts. added, while the apodosis is gnly. whithout a pol.; in C;, from Manu onwards, it is used with (a) pr.; in apodosis pr., pot., impv., ft., no finite vb.; (b) pot.; pr., pot., impv., ft., no finite vb.; (b) pot.; in apodosis pot., cond., pr., impf. or aor.; in pot.; (f) no finite vb.; in pr., pot., ft., no vb.; the apodosis in all these cuses has tarhi, tatah, tad, tada, rarely atra, atha, tatra, tadanim, tatah param); if = as sure as (in asseverations, followed by impv. tatha or tens, or pot. with tad); whether (with pr., pot., or no vb.; yadi-na va, whether -or not); that ( after not believe, ' not suffer); if perchance, perhaps (w. pot. iti, pr. or ft.); yadi ked, if; yadi tavat, how would it be if (w.pr. or impv); yadiapi, even if, although (rarely api yadi; apodosis tatha api or tad api); yadi (va) -yadi va, yadi va- yadi va, va, va, -yadi va, yad va- yadiva, if - orif, whether or: yadi-va na va, whether -or not; ya di va (alone), or if, or rather; sts = however.
• यदीय yad-îya whose.
• यदु [yádu]
- Kedi, and of Haryasva; he is the ancestor of the Yâdava race in which Krishna was born.
- f. chance: °--, -tas, or in. a-yâ, by chance, accidentally; spontaneously; unexpectedly; -mâtratah, only quite by accident; -lâbha-samtushta, pp. satisfied with earnings obtained spontaneously; -sabda, m. word of accidental origin, unmeaning word.
- a. belonging to which family; -devata, a. having which deity; -dhetos, ab. (=hetos) ad. on which account, wherefore; -bhavishya, a. saying ʻwhat will be, will beʼ; m. fatalist; N. of a fish.
• [yad-riy ank]
- a. turned in which direction (V.).
Contents of this page
- ad. in what manner, as (corr. tadvat or evam); -vidha, a. of what kind; -vîrya, a. of what valour; -vritta, n. (thing that happened), occurrence, event, adventure.
- d. inf. of √yam (RV.); -tavya, fp. to be guided, curbed, or restrained; -trí, m. driver (of horses or car), charioteer; elephant-driver; director, guide; ruler, governor; a. establishing (V.); bestowing (V.); withholding, from (lc.).
- n. means of holding, support, barrier (V.); leather-thong, traces (of a carriage); (blunt surgical) instrument (opp. knives); apparatus, appliance, mechanical contrivance, engine, machine; bolt, lock (on a door); means of propulsion (in a boat, =oars, sails, etc.); °--or--°, mechanical (elephant, etc.); magical (car); amulet, mystical diagram used as an amulet.
- m. (f. ikâ) restrainer; mechanist; -karandikâ, f. magical basket; -karma-krit, m. mechanist; -karman, n. employment of instruments; -keshtita, (pp.) n. magical contrivance, enchantment; -kkhedya, n. kind of art (incorr. for pattra-).
- n. bandaging; restriction, restraint, constraint (caused by, --°).
- m. constructor of machines or magical contrivances; -dri- dha, pp. secured by a bolt; -dhârâ-griha, n. shower-bath room: -tva, n. condition or function of a shower-bath; -nâla, n. artificial pipe or tube; -putraka, m., -putrikâ, f. mechanical doll; -pravâha, m. mechanical spray or jet of water; -maya, a. artificially imitated, mechanical (animal, etc.); -mayûra-ka, m. artificial peacock; -mârga, m. aqueduct.
• यन्त्रय [yantra-ya] P. bandage: pp. ita, bandaged; bound, fastened; fettered, restrained, or compelled by, depending on (in., ab., --°); self-restrained; strenuously exerting oneself, for (-krite). ni, curb, restrain: pp. bound, fettered; embanked; restricted, ruled by, dependent on (in. or --°). sam, pp. stopped (car).
- a. furnished with a mechanical contrivance; -sara, m. automatic arrow; -sûtra, n. cord of a mechanical puppet.
- a. furnished with trappings (horse); possessing an amulet; tormenting; m. tormentor.
- m. pl. (mechanical stones), mill.
- a. having what name; -nimitta, a. whereby occasioned: -m, ad. on which account, in consequence of which.
- a. consisting or formed of which; -mâtra, a. having which measure; -mûrdhan, m. whose head; -mûla, a. having its root in which, dependent on whom or what.
• [YABH] I. P. (V.), A. (C.) yabha, have connexion with (a female); des. yiyapsa, P. wish to have connexion with. pra and prati, id.
- I. yana (V.) yakkha (V., C.), hold, -up, sustain, A. find support in (lc.; V.); wield (missile), A. reach out with weapons (in.; V.); raise or hold (a screen etc.) over (d.; V.) A. extend oneself before any one (d., like a screen, scan-vat: Br.); raise the other scale, weight (Br.); hold in, curb, check ( horses, car, etc.); restrain (breath, voice); subdue, control (mind, passions, etc.), draw in, tighten (reins); bestow, grant, offer, give up to (d., lc.); A. obey (d.; RV.); offer (praise, etc.; RV.) show (teeth; V.); margan yam, make way for (g.); give in exchange for (prati w. ab.): pp. yata; cs. P. (A. metr.) yamaya, hold in cheek; restrain (voice); arrange (hair), trim (nails): pp. yamita. adhi, extend over (d.; RV.). anu, P. A. guide, direct (RV.); A. follow (RV.). antar, restrain. a, extend (a web, etc.); A. draw (a bow), adjust (an arrow), aim; stretch out (the hand, etc.), lengthen steps ( padant= stride out); control (the mind), suspend ( the breath); bring to or towards (RV.) display: pp. a-yata, drawn (arrow); extending towards (-°) extended, long (also of time), broad (forehead); directed towards (RV.) display: pp. a-yata, drawn (arrow); extending towards (-°); extended,long (also of time), broad (forehead); directed towards (RV). : cs. bring to (lc.; V.) abhia, protract (tone; Br.); aim at (ac.; V.). nir-a, take out (ac.): pp. outstretched. via, pull asunder; A. struggle for (lc.), fight: pp. vyayata, long (arm), far (running, °-), carried on from a distance (fight): strong (person); intense: -m, ad. excessively, greatly; cs. gd. vyayamya, having taken exercise. sam-a, draw (traces: RV.); draw together. ud, raise, lift up (arms, weapons, etc.); elevate on a support (V.); lift on high, convey aloft (hymn; RV.) present (oblations, invocations; V.); guide (horses; E., rare); take up. set about, prepare oneself, get ready, exert oneself, strive after (d., or -artham); sts. incorr. fro ud-gam: pp. udyata, uplifted, upraised; offered (esp. food); undertaken, begun: prepared or ready for, about to, bent, or resolved on, engaged in (d., lc., inf., -°, or -artham); prepared for action, intent, energetic; expectant; cs. udyamaya, raise up; intv. -yamyamiti, stretch out abhiud, pp. uplifted; offered; prepared to, ready for, on the point of, engaged in, bent on (lc., inf., -°) incorr. for udgata, risen, appeared. praud, pp. uplifted (stick); being about to (inf. ). prati ud, offered, incorr. for gata. sam-ude, lift ujp; guide (horses): pp. raised, uplifted; offered; ready to one's hand; intended; begun; ready for or about to (d., inf., artha-), engaged in (lc.); prepared for action. upa, lay hold of, seize; prop, put under as a support; offer; accept; acquire; A. (P.) take to wife, marry (ord. mg.); A. have connexion with (a woman). ni, stop (a car, etc.), keep back, prevent (cows) straying (V.); fasten or tie to (lc.); tie up (the hair); hold fast, draw to one (V.); attain (success); assume (a state); bestow permanently, implant (V.); offer or perform regularly (oblations); keep to oneself, withhold (RV.). A. be held back (bolt; RV.); draw tight (reins); guide (horses); curb, restrain, dissuade, from (ab.); check, govern, control; chastise, punish; subdue (passions); suspend (breath); suppress (speech, emotion); conceal (nature); settle, determine, limit, restrict; keep low (tone), pronounce with the anudatta accent; often incorr. for ni-gam; ps. be settled or established: pp. niyata, tied to (lc.); folded (hands); connected with, dependent on (lc.); checked, curbed, restrained: suppressed, discontinued; settled, established, fixed, certain; constant, regular; limited, to (-°); limited in number; concentracted, intent, on (lc.); pronounced witht he anudattaaccent; es, niyamaya, P.stop, bind, curb, restrain, control; suspend (breath); settle, determine; limit: pp. -yamita, bound, tied, fixed, fastened, in (lc.); prevented by (-°); suspended (breath); checked; alleviated (labour, heat); determined or destined to be (inf. w. ps.mg) prati-ni, pp. determined for each particular case, another in each case vi-ni, curb, control; draw in, withdraw;
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
End of TIL file