• A Practical Sanskrikt Dictionary,
by A. A. Macdonell, 1893,
- Nataraj ed., 1st in 2006, 2012.
- https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/macdonell/ 190516
• The Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary, BHS, vol.2, by F. Edgerton, pp. 627.
- FEdgerton-BHSD<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 180627)
• The Student's Pali English dictionary , by U Pe Maung Tin, 1920.
- (ref: UPMT-PEDxxx). Downloaded copies in TIL HD-PDF and SD-PDF libraries:
- UPMT-PaliDict1920<Ô> / bkp<Ô> (link chk 190113)
• Pali-Myanmar Dictionary (in Pal-Myan), by U Hoke Sein,
- (ref: UHS-PMD). The dictionary in printed form is in TIL Research Library.
• Latin-English Vocabulary II, by Hans H Ørberg, 1998
- HHOrberg-LinguaLatina<Ô> / Bkp<Ô> (link chk 190624)
Edited by U Kyaw Tun (UKT) (M.S., I.P.S.T., USA),
Daw Khin Wutyi, Daw Thuzar Myint, Daw Zinthiri Han
and staff of Tun Institute of Learning (TIL).
Not for sale. No copyright. Free for everyone.
Prepared for students and staff of TIL
Research Station, Yangon, MYANMAR
- http://www.tuninst.net , www.romabama.blogspot.com
UKT notes :
Contents of this page
• यत [ya-tá]
- pp. (√yam) restrained etc.: (a)gir, a. restraining speech, silent.
- fp. n. imps. one should strive after (lc.).
• यतम [ya-tamá]
- a. (n. -d) who or which of many (V.); -tará, a. (n. -d) which of two (V.).
- a. restaining one's speech, silent, -vrata, a. firm of purpose.
- ad. = ab. ya in all numbers and genders, out of or from whom or which, whence, whereof (be afraid); where (common); whither (rare); wherefore, for which reason; since, because, for (often introducing a verse in support of a previous statement); since when (gnly. + prabhriti); as soon as (RV.); that (after questions, e.g. what have I done that you should --; or to introduce oratio recta); yáto yatah, from which or whence respectively; whithersoever, in whatever direction; yata eva kutas ka, whencesoever (Br.); yatas tatah, from any one soever; from any quarter whatever; whithersoever, to any place whatever.
- a. having an outstretched ladle (RV.).
- a. having one's mind concentrated, controlling oneself.
• यति 1. [yá-ti]
- a. pl.(nm. ac. yáti) as many as.
• यति 2. [yát-i]
- m. disposer (V.): pl. N. of an ancient race connected with the Bhrigus; sg. (striver), one who has renounced the world, ascetic, anchorite.
• यति 3.
- f. guidance (V.); pause (in music); caesura (in prosody).
- n. kind of penance
- fp. one should exert oneself, for (lc.).
- m. kind of musical measure; -tva, n. condition of an ascetic; -dharma, m. duties of an ascetic.
- a. (î) the how-manieth (Br.); -dhaN, ad. in how many parts or places (AV.).
- m. ascetic.
- pp. lacking the requisite caesura.
- a. originating in which.
• यत्काम yát-kâma desiring which (V.); -kâmyaN, ad. with which intention (Br.); -kâranam, ad. on which account, wherefore; since, because (also ât); -kâryam, ad. with which intention; -kimkana-kâraka, a. doing anything that occurs to one, acting at random; -kimkana-kâr-in, a. id.: (-i)-tâ, f. haphazard conduct; -kimkana-pralâpin, a. talking at random; -kimkana-vâda, m. random assertion; -kimkid-api-samkalpa, m. desire for something or other; -kimkid-duhkha-ka, n. pl. trifling pains of whatever kind; -kula, a. of which family; -krite, ad. for the sake of whom or which.
Contents of this page
- m. volition, aspiration (rare); effort, exertion, endeavour, care, trouble, labour, pains (sg. & pl.; with regard to, lc. or --°); express statement (rare): -m kri, â-dhâ, or â-sthâ, make an effort or attempt, take trouble or pains (for, to, lc., inf.); in. sg. or pl. carefully, eagerly, zealously, strenuously; yatnena̮api, in spite of every effort; ab. with every effort; carefully, sedulously, vigorously; -tas, ad. id.; °--, with difficulty.
- a. possessed of volition; taking trouble, exerting oneself (with lc.).
- ad. = lc. ya in all numbers and genders; where, in which place (ord. mg.); whither; on which occasion, in which case, if; when (common); in that (=quod; rare); in order that (RV., rare); that (after a question): yatra yatra, wherever; whithersoever; yatra tatra, in whatever; anywhere whatever; to any place whatever, heaven knows whither; at every opportunity, on every occasion; yatra tatra̮api, anywhere soever; yatra kutra, in whatever; everywhere; yatra kutra̮api, in whatever; yátra kvã ka (V.), in any whatever; wherever; whenever; whithersoever; yatra kvakana, in any whatever; anywhere; at any time; heaven knows whither; yatra kva vâ, anywhere whatever (P.); yatra kva̮api, to any place, hither or thither (P.); yatra vâ, or at any other place, or elsewhere.
- m. magical power of transferring oneself anywhere at will; -tatra-saya, a. lying down anywhere, not minding where one sleeps.
- a. being or dwelling in which place.
- a. having one's dwelling wherever evening falls; -sâyam-pratisraya, a. id.; -stha, a. dwelling in which place; -̮astamita-sâyin, a. resting wherever sunset overtakes one; -̮ikkhaka, a. wherever one likes.
- a. having what number, how numerous; -sena, a. having how strong an army; -svabhâva, a. being of what nature.
- ad. according to the respective Rishi.
- ad. according to the respective verse; -̮ritu, ad. according to the season; -̮rishi, ad. according to the respective Rishi.
- red. ad. & cj. as, like (followed by correlative táthâ; sts. tathâ tathâ, tadvat, evam, V. evá; in V. the pcls. kid, ha, ha vai, iva̮aṅga, iva ha are added, in C. sts. iva redundantly; at the end of a pâda yathâ is sometimes unaccented in this sense like iva); as, for instance; elliptically: as it is or was (rare); properly, correctly (=yathâvat); in order that, (so) that (with subj. or opt. in V.; opt., pr., ft., impf., pf., aor. in C.; sts. with ellipse of syât or bhavet); that (with verbs of saying, thinking, knowing, doubting, hearing, etc. introducing oratio recta ± iti); as soon as (rare); as if (w. pot., rare): yathâ tathâ, as -- therefore; as surely as -- so truly (also tena satyena, the logical order of the clauses being sts. inverted); yáthâ yathâ táthâ tathâ (V. also eva◡́eva), according or in proportion as -- so, the more -- the more; yathâ yathâ̮eva, that (w. pot.; corr. tad); yathâ tathâ, in whatever way; in some way or other, anyhow (with na, in no way, not in reality); by commentators used to express that a word is employed adverbially (in such manner that it is, sc. bhavati); yathâ katham- kid, in any way, somehow or other; tad yathâ, that is as follows=namely, for instance; tad yathâ̮api nâma, just as if (w. pot.).
Contents of this page
- ad. according to age from the youngest upwards; -kartavya, fp. to be done according to the circumstances; n. proper course of action; -karmá, ad. according to the respective action or actions; -karma-gunam, ad. according to the actions and (three) qualities; -kalpam, ad. according to the ritual; -kândam, ad. according to the sections; -kâma-kâra, m. action according to one's desire; -kaNmam (SB. ám), ad. according to wish, at will or pleasure, agreeably; leisurely; -kâma- gyeya, fp. to be oppressed at pleasure; -kâma-prayâpya, fp. to be sent away at pleasure; -kâma-vadhya, fp. to be chastised at pleasure; -kâma-vikârin, a. wandering about at will; -kâma̮arkita̮arthin, a. satisfying supplicants according to their desire; -kâmin, a. acting according to one's will, unrestrained; -kârya, fp. to be done according to circumstances; -kâla, m. proper time: -m, ad. at the right or usual time, seasonably; -kula-dharmam, ad. according to the family usage; -krita, pp. properly done (--°); agreed upon: (á)-m, ad. as usual (RV.); as it happened; as agreed upon; -krama, °--, -m, ena, in due order, successively; -kriyamâna, pr. pt. as being done, usual, customary; -kshamam, ad. according to one's power, as much as possible; -kshipram, ad. as possible; -̮âkhyânam, ad. according to the statement, as before stated; -̮âgata, pp. by which one came (way): -m, e-na, ad. by the way one came; -̮âgama, a. orthodox: -m, ad. in accordance with tradition; -gunam, ad. according to the qualities or virtues; -griham, ad. into one's respective house; -gotra-kula-kalpam, ad. according to the usage of the family or the tribe; -̮aṅgám, ad. member by member; -̮âkâram, ad. according to usage; -kintita, pp. previously intended; -kkhandas, ad. metre by metre; -gâta, pp. as if born into the world; stupid, foolish; -gosham, ad. to one's heart's content; -gñapta, pp. previously directed or ordered; -gñapti, ad. according to command; -gñânam, ad. to the best of one's knowledge; -gñeyam, ad. id.; -gyeshtham, ad. according to age from the eldest downwards, by seniority.
- ad. °- or -m, in accordance with truth, truly, accurately; -tatham, ad. as it is really (tathâ), circumstantially, accurately; properly, suitably; -tathyam, -tathyena, ad. in accordance with truth; -̮âtmaka, a. having whatever nature; -darsana, ad. °-- or -m, at each occurrence, in each individual case; -dik, -disam, ad. in accordance with the cardinal points, according to the corresponding direction; -̮âdishta, pp. according to the direction or statement: (á)-m, ad.; -drishtam, ad. as one has seen it; -devatam, ad. deity by deity; -desam, ad. according to the place; -̮âdesam, according to precept; -dharmám, ad. in due order; according to the nature; -̮adhikâra, ad. °-- or -m, according to authority; -̮adhîta, °-- or -m, ad. as learnt, in accordance with the text; -̮adhyâpakam, ad. in accordance with the teacher; -niruptam, ad. as scattered; -nirdishta, pp. as above specified, described, or characterized; -̮anupûrvam, ad. in regular order; -̮anupûrvya, °-- or â, (in.) ad. id.; -̮anubhûtam, ad. ac cording to previous experience; -̮anurûpam, ad. in exact conformity, regularly; -nyastam, ad. in the manner in which deposited; -nyâyam, ad. according to rule, duly, fitly; -nyâsam, ad. according to the written wording of a sûtra, as is written; -nyupta, pp. in the order in which laid down.
Contents of this page
Contents of this page
End of TIL file